Ext. Cab Window Air Leak

AUTOGUY

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got mine and had a chance to install them. I took it on the highway Saturday night and could not hear any wind noise. The best $35.00 mod I have done to date!!!

Link please :chevy:

My bad, dissreguard this dumb post :dunno:

Edited by Bman (see edit history)

got mine put on tonight, i didnt notice any wind noise on the way home :driving::thumbs: They were a bit of a pain to install because you have to open up the existing plastic handle, and almost break it to get the thing in there, i just cut the existing ones out.They dont seem to close exactly the same either but i should have expected that!

• 2 weeks later...

I like the look of these extenders. May have to get some - my pass rear window has a slight leak.

How to safely determine if your air noise is the doors or the windows: :ughdance:

1) close windows and turn off A/C, radio so you can hear the wind noise

2) have a passenger ride in the back seat to help find the source

3) drive at the speeds where the noise occurs

4) have the passenger locate the source of the noise (door seal or window)

5) if window, have the passenger pull the window latches tighter to see if the noise is reduced or eliminated

6) if door, have the passenger stuff towels around the source of the leak to see if the noise is reduced or eliminated

7) fix the locations found and test again... :banghead:

:jester:

I fixed a few door seal air leaks and rattles with slight adjustments to the door latches. The window leak has slowly gotten loud enough to be annoying over 20K miles or so, and now requires attention.

Same rear pass window noise here.

I plan to head back to the dealer and let them fix their own shortcomings.

Shouldn't cost the consumer for a "manufacturers defect".

Plus at least by going back to them it gets documented.

Perhaps someday they will get the clue and clamp down on quality control.

I would rather pay the $35.00 and get it fixed myself. I don't have the time for a dealer to mess with my truck and take a chance of them scratching the paint trying to replace the window.

It is fixed and I am happy, if you want to be cheap and keep taking it to the dealer(who doesn't have a fix as mentioned earlier) then waste your time and still have a noisy window air leak. You need to put a value on your time, and mine is worth more than $35.00 for the time I would waste at a dealer and STILL NOT have the issue resolved.

Edited by AUTOGUY (see edit history)

I like the look of these extenders.  May have to get some - my pass rear window has a slight leak.

How to safely determine if your air noise is the doors or the windows:  :ughdance:

1) close windows and turn off A/C, radio so you can hear the wind noise

2) have a passenger ride in the back seat to help find the source

3) drive at the speeds where the noise occurs

4) have the passenger locate the source of the noise (door seal or window)

5) if window, have the passenger pull the window latches tighter to see if the noise is reduced or eliminated

6) if door, have the passenger stuff towels around the source of the leak to see if the noise is reduced or eliminated

7) fix the locations found and test again...  :banghead:

:jester:

I fixed a few door seal air leaks and rattles with slight adjustments to the door latches.  The window leak has slowly gotten loud enough to be annoying over 20K miles or so, and now requires attention.

:thumbs: Thanks for the good idea.

Mr. P. :)

• 17 years later...

Someone with a 3D printer print out the little arm in the latch that pivots. make it 2 pieces from the center and have them screw into one another. One side being male threaded into the other which should be female. in theory you would be able to adjust the length of the arm by turning the pieces to apply more tension to the window seal when the latch is closed