howling/whining noise

just picked it up from the dealer tonight.

2 days in the shop... i was pretty impressed.

it was a bad carrier bearing making all the noise.... they said something about a broken lock in the diff. that allowed play in the bearing.... causing it to wear.

anyway... they replaced all the bearings and seals... as well as a few other small things in there while they were at it... not just the one bad bearing.

also they said there was a magnet in there... which should be in everyones... to collect metal shavings in case of something like this. i was glad to know this.

anyway... it was all done with no charge to me, and it now at 23k miles... sounds and rides smoother than it did at 60 miles when i picked it up.

:banghead: I too have this whining noise coming from somewhere. I put the truck in neutral at 50MHP and turned the engine off and it still did it..probably the same problem(s) you guys are having. Also i hear a growling from my front end when i make tight turns at times too.........between this and the rust under my hood and the bad Bose speaker i think im going to be driving the dealerships Colorado for a few days when i take it in............. :mad:

Mine is in the shop right now for front and rear diff replacement, they are also going to open up the transfer case to see what is going on in there too..

I hope it the sound goes away when i get it back!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey just wanted to let everyone know I had my SS in the shop on Monday for the whining noise. They replaced the carrier barrings. I also had them check the slack in the 1-2 shift they said that was normal. Has anyone else had this problem???

• 2 weeks later...

I brought mine into the shop, they said there were shavings in the front diff. They ordered a couple of bearings and a spacer to repair. I pick it up tomorrow and will let you know how it turned out. BTW, mine howled mostly when turning, ie sharp turns at around 30 mph

Picked it up from the dealer and it still is whining on turns. Also, when they replaced the adjuster in the seat, they brokle a pin in the seat heater, so my back is warm but my butt is cold. They fixed it, now it stopped working again. Starting to get pissed.

Mine is still whining a bit I think it might be the rear this time, I don't think they check it while I had it in there, that would've made to much sence :smash: . I have 17,875 miles on mine but the warrenty runs out in July. I was thinking of getting it extended. I'm not sure though I want to put a programmer or pcm tor less on it. I hope you get your seat worked out sice its getting cold..

Archived