governors?

one bad SS

hey guys, il be turning 16 in oct and im having some trust issues with myfolks. they say an SS has too much HP for a 16 yearold boy, is there any sort of governor or anything that i could put on it until i turn 18? any info will be appreciated. thanks, yall take it easy

I saw something on Ebay the other day you might like.

Someone was selling a block of wood to put under the gas pedal, to save gas-it would help you keep your foot out of the SS. Also, it may be possible with a tuned PCM to lower the top speed...but Im not sure so check me on that. But with the stock tune, the top speed is the same as most other trucks, limited to 100.

These trucks were meant to run fast, and it takes real self control to not let it out all the time...

There's other guyz around your age who have them, though...I was telling one a few days ago, its not a truck for amateur drivers.

But you could also remind your parents how much safer it is with all wheel drive...

you could get your dad to buy hptuners. with that he would be able to control your speed limiter. just to be funny once i set a buddies speed limiter on his s10 at 62mph. when frank and tj came back from that test drive they were in tears laughing.

I gotta say this is a first...

someone asking how to add a gov. rather than get around it :crackup:

Heres a governor for you...

gov_AS.jpg

Made in Caleeforneea :jester:

Zips got the right idea... get you're parents to buy HPTuners and set your limiter at 65mph untill you turn 18, but remember:

its not the acceleration or speed that'll kill you... its the sudden stops :sick:

I am being totally serious here - speed governors don't work. The idea is to make you a better and more responsible driver, not a timid or neutered driver. This is an expensive suggestion, but DO IT especially at your age if there is any way possible, and I mean even work a job to pay for it yourself, that is go to the Bob Bondurant driving schools, worth EVERY penny and totally changes your approach to life behind the wheel, you will not drive the same afterwards - you'll be not only a better/safer/courteous/responsible driver, but a smoother/faster driver as well and less abusive on your vehicles.

Another alternative that might be cheaper - my father (a *very* good driver) was taught both basic and performance driving by a local traffic enforcement officer when he was a teen; now that was 40+ years ago and the commercial schools did not exist back then. I don't know how workable this is but if you know someone in law enforcement or hell just go ask maybe someone would be willing to help you there. Or they might be able to suggest where you can turn to -just a thought.

Other suggestion - do not have passengers with you in your first six months behind the wheel.

The reason that I say the MPH governor will not work is from my own experience. Most tickets that I got in my youth were inside city limits (I never had more than $5 for gas at any given time so no freeway driving for me!), hence well under freeway speeds and a 55mph governor will not prevent you from driving say 45 in a 35, or 35 in a school zone, 50 in a 40, breaking traction, tailgating, running stop signs, racing, carving through traffic, etc.

After learning the hard way I finally realized that there is no business speeding inside city limits, it's too congested to be effective (you won't arrive any sooner) and you cannot control the actions of hundreds of other motorists or pedestrians, any one of which may do something unpredictably stupid at any moment. Once I realized that I stopped speeding in town.

So, for my own curiousity, what is it that they do not trust - you getting tickets and raising insurance costs, or you doing something risky/stupid?

Mr. P.

Edit - TMBRWLF1997 is right, what you need to do is raise your trust worthiness; learning how to *really* drive and how to handle yourself around other people (traffic) will do that. And having a job so you can pay your own vehicle expenses, including insurance, tickets, deductables, etc. Two lessons here, first freedom is not cheap; second, being a man begins with knowing how to interact/deal with others around you and being able to stand on your own.

This is only my opinion. I believe everybody should have atleast 3yrs of driving experience before they are allowed to drive any vehicle with alot horsepower. When I lived in Miami there were plenty of cases where young kids were driving fast cars (Vettes, 5.0 Mustangs, etc) and causing very seriuos accidents due lack of driving skills. I remember one accident where a 16yr old was racing down US1 in his Vette his parents gave him, he wrecked killing atleast 2 people that I can remember and putting his best friend in a wheel chair (quadrapliegic). The car was a lease and he was not supposed to be driving it. Now the SS is not fast like a vette or a Mustang GT but since it is a sport truck you will have the eurge to race someone and Iknow you may thing you have the ability but you dont have the experience.

thanks guys, i was thiking about the fuel price too and my sister wants to buy me a 2006 tacoma. thats looking more realistic for my inexpierence and wild nature, and insurance reasons even though i wont be paying them but it seams more practical.id also feel a little retarded that i had to have a govenor on a nice vehicle like an SS .they mentioned sometihing about a graduation present or i might just wait til im on my own. but a silverado SS and a 69 camaro are the first two things on my cars to buy list. well thanks for the advice and the info . yall take it easy

misterp it was the speeding tickets that is the real reason.my parents aloso wouldnt allow me to have passenger the first 6 months. i am the youngest of 5 and the only boy and my parents didnt allow any of them to have an 8cylinder so i think i hit a dead end road. i have a job but since i still live under their roof i have to follow their rules. thanks for the advice everyone. yall take it easy.

Also just consider maybe getting a standard 4.8L Chevy and dumping all the extra money into customization. Just an idea... no one should be forced to get a Tacoma just b/c they can't get an SS.

:withstupid: A VERY good suggestion.

Not all kids with high HP cars kill themselves; my first vehicle was a '77 Firebird 4spd, with about 360hp. We were always cruising on McHenry Avenue (central Californians will know what I mean) but I'm still alive, kicking, and never got into or caused a wreck. Lots of 'police encounters' though :D. OTOH one of my classmates at the time (happened to be one of the Gallo's of all families) drove their brand new Camaro clean through a stop sign and into a dairy pond; totalled the car, major hospital bills, no fatalities but still... gotta be smart, because Darwinism is the rule - take real professional driving school!

Mr. P. :)

i already have a 95 silverado( the green monster)that we bought new with a 5.7 350 that i lifted, flowmasters, sittin on 38 inch tires that i use to go muddboggin in so i figure if i aint gitn a SS i probably need something more fuel efficient so im also lookin at the colorado but we already have a 04 GMC canyon, on a second note i was playin baseball on an AAu team and i was up in the northern part of the state and i saw an RST Silverado.. was this something some one customized or has anyone else seen one. it was a regular cab with a body kit, racing stripes, nascar type spoiler., strongly resembled the new Speedway edition truck from chevy. and it said RST on the windsheild, just wondering if it was legit. or was someting someone invented. i didnt think chevy had produced anything else besides the joegibbs silverado, thanks again for the advice. yall take it easy

mr p i know what u mean. another thing is my dad lost one of his kid brothers to a wreck. he just refurbished a 67GTO with a 400 and had it two weeks b4 he ran into a bank and was killed. my dads 2 best friends also died in a car accident drag racing on their way to pick him up.

i already have a 95 silverado( the green monster)that we bought new with a 5.7 350  that i lifted, flowmasters, sittin on 38 inch tires that i use to go muddboggin in so i figure if i aint gitn a SS i probably need something more fuel efficient so im also lookin at the colorado but we already have a 04 GMC canyon, on a second note i was playin baseball on an AAu team and i was up in the northern part of the state and i saw an RST Silverado.. was this something some one customized or has anyone else seen one. it was a regular cab with a body kit, racing stripes, nascar type spoiler., strongly resembled the new Speedway edition truck from chevy. and it said RST on the windsheild, just wondering if it was legit. or was someting someone invented. i didnt think chevy had produced anything else besides the joegibbs silverado, thanks again for the advice. yall take it easy

Man you and I are almost mentally linked, we both like SSs, old F-bodies, and I just looked over one of the Regency trucks during lunch today at the Chevy dealer! The Regency RST is a aftermarket converted truck; all of them come with the RST appearance package, and can also be equipped with the RST performance package too but is very expensive for what you get, you can do it yourself for a lot less. Not enough cubic inch for me personally, but the manual trans is REAL tempting.

Mr. P. :)

Not all kids with high HP cars kill themselves; my first vehicle was a '77 Firebird 4spd, with about 360hp.  We were always cruising on McHenry Avenue (central Californians will know what I mean) but I'm still alive, kicking, and never got into or caused a wreck.  Lots of 'police encounters' though  :D.  OTOH one of my classmates at the time (happened to be one of the Gallo's of all families) drove their brand new Camaro clean through a stop sign and into a dairy pond; totalled the car, major hospital bills, no fatalities but still...  gotta be smart, because Darwinism is the rule - take real professional driving school!

My dad is one of those fortunate ones that probably shouldn't have survived his 20's. Hes told me more horror stories about totalling beautiful cars than I care to remember.

The worst he ever told me was about his showroom new white on blue, 1972 Pontiac Firebird 455HO... this thing was beautiful from the pictures I've seen and only a couple of months of owning it he lost control of the car at over 100mph... slid up an embankment... launched the car and planted the bumper at a 45* angle in the middle of a little league baseball field. Rumor has it the bumper of that car is still burried somewhere between home plate and the pitchers mound of that field. :crazy: The car was totaled... he didn't have insurance... what a mess. Its stories like this one that kept me out of trouble.

Archived