Performance goals

j4nash

Ok guys hear are my goals I want to get to, help me decide what to do.

I want to get my truck into the very low 12’s maybe 11’s

I want good reliable power that I can have some good fun on the street without having to worry too much about heat sick.

Also I would like to be able to get at least 16.5-17 mpg on the highway just like I am getting now.

I have been thinking about building a mild 408 like the one zippy is working on and getting it into the high 12’s all motor along with the other mods I have now. Which I think I have everything I would need to go to a 408 all I would need is the forged short block. And then at a latter point in time when the new radix comes out on the market I think that it is going to be able to support a 408 and I would like to through it on there.

I do have a radix right now and I know that I could make it go low 12’s with the mods I have now but the down side is that my power will be limited and when I am on the street playing around every time I race someone from light to light I will be getting slower and slower each time I get on it.

On solution would to run a small shot of nitrous but then you run into problems of how much can a stock 6.0 really take?

That is why I keep going back to the 408. if I use my stock heads and the cam I just put into my 6.0 and keep about a 10.1.1 compression and then when the new radix comes out I can run about 10 psi of boost on it and have some monster power.

Hear is a list of the mods I have on the truck right now

- MSD spark plug wires

- TOG Headers

- Corsa exhaust

- Volant air intake

- HP Tuners

- trans-go shift kit

- Jag built tranny

- PI vigilant tq converter that right now stalls at about 2500

- 05 E-Fans

- 160 stat

- 42 lb injectors

- inline fuel pump

-comp 918 springs

- comp cam 220/226 556/570 114+4

So help me out guys. I know some of you think I should go with the 408 and some of you think I should just slap the radix on there and go with it but I just keep thinking about the new one that will be coming out.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you think your going to have a 11 sec AWD truck and get that kind of mileage good luck. Put the Radix on, be happy and build a 11 sec car. The Radix won't effect your mileage much until you get on it. You can race on the street and the heat don't effect it that much. A Low 12 sec truck is fast.

If you think your going to have a 11 sec AWD truck and get that kind of mileage good luck.

:withstupid:

I definately think this is a case where you can't have your cake (11's/low 12's) and eat it too (MPG).

I hope you prove us wrong though :thumbs:

Couldn't you have done this with your other thread?? :smash:

Build the 408 with like 11-11.5:1CR, then run nitrous when you want to get into the 11s.

You may get into high 12s with what you have + a 408.

I'd say you're looking at anywhere between $3500-$4500 to get a 408 in your truck. Add in heads and you have more - if you change them. Then another $5k+ for a new Magna. Personally, I think you're better off keeping what you have. Radix'd trucks are already in the 12s. Throw in a 50-shot and you would have very low 12s.

Do you have some feminine qualities? Damn if you can make your mind up on anything? :P I almost used the b-word, but know there are females on here also. :jester:

Give up the mileage thing. IT'S A PIPE DREAM!! :repost:

getting the 408 to run a naturally asperated high 11 to low 12 would certainly take some work as well as fairly big cam and damn nice heads. with nitrous or boost though the 408 could get there with ease. tim and slim, what kind of milage do you get with your truck with a radix under everyday driving? and have you towed with them?

Give up the mileage thing.  IT'S A PIPE DREAM!! :repost:

Haha... :crackup:

BenKey's pet peave. :crazy:

I guess if you're gonna start from scratch stock and do a buildup, mileage + moderate performance could be a reasonable goal, but if you're scrapping an FI setup and spending big bucks to go to big cubes and have the same performance N/A, it's gonna be a long time before you can make back your investment on fuel economy. :cry:

That's what gets me about some of these hybrid vehicles. Even with gas at 3 bucks a gallon how many miles are you going to have to drive to make up the extra $3 or 4 grand they cost? :ughdance:

Seriously though, BenKey is right. By the time you factor in serious heads and a radical cam with low 12's or better as a goal, the mileage thing is gonna have to go out the window. You may not need the fuel enrichment you need with a turbo or blower but you're not going to have an economical setup. Boost the 408 later and you'll be burning more fuel than ever. :D

Personally, I am concentrating right now on getting my 6.0 + Radix running the best I can and Zippy is being a big help getting me there. If and when this rumored bigger capacity Eaton comes on the market I may start thinking like you are. In the meantime I have plenty of worlds to conquer on stock cubes. :chevy:

The 408 I built is mild for only two reasons. I ran out of time to get the engine together and people not getting me the parts on time. :banghead:

You keep asking these questions. The thing is how much money are you wanting to spend on the truck. if money is no issue then i say go 408. the radix you have now will only give you so much power as you already know.

I think the only reason i was getting such good gas mileage on my 408 was because the tune i made was a throw together to get a base tune to start with. since then zippy has basiacally tuned it in and the gas milage has droped. so that being either set up will not that great for gas milage. I would say mid to high teens if you stay off the throttle.

This basically falls back to my question. How much are you willing to spend???

My big cam is waiting to be installed with afr heads, 90mm intake and t.b.

did you ever get a different stall for that. i know we had talked about it before being possibly too high of a stall and actually slowing the truck down some.

Archived