Detailers- Help please

The ohio winters, cinders and salt, have taken a toll on the front end of my truck. After waxing, just Mothers (not DER- Yet), up close the front end appears as it was splattered with white paint. All the small nicks in the plastic areas (mainly bumper cover) have filled with wax and it looks terrible :banghead: Is there something like the powerball or other gadget I can use to get the wax out of the nicks? They would not be noticeable if not filled with wax... HELP. Should I just purchase a buffer? Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time (I die a little on the inside everytime I look at it)

If they're chips in the paint deep enough to hold wax then no amount of buffing is gonna get rid of them... thats the kind of thing that'll require a repaint to fix.

As for getting the wax out of the divots theres a couple of differnet things I can suggest. Easiest way would be to use some spray detailer and a terrrycloth rag. DO NOT USE THE POWERBALL ON PAINT!! That'll just make a bunch of swirls.

A claybar may help... just depends on how deep the nicks are in the paint.

Maybe even a cotton swab would be best... just spend some time and give each nick a little attention.

I can't beleive how bad you guys have it in winter up there... if its doing that much damage to your front end then it maybe time to invest in something w/ a metal front bumper and pack the SS up during the winter. :dunno:

Yeah that bites, I bought my SS used and the first owner just hamburgered the front bumper cover so I have the same problem. Short answer, your days of conventional wax use are over, time to switch to an acrylic sealer (DER, Klasse, or Zaino). To really fix the problem you have to remove the plastic bumper cover and have a body shop repair/repaint it ($275-350).

I got mine looking presentable by washing the front bumper with Dawn (original), and working it over with body clay (Maguire's clay detailing kit $15) - that will definitely get all the wax off. Then use touch-up paint and a toothpick (or modeling paint brush) to fill the white pock-marks, $7 from the dealer. Then recoat with DSS, Klasse, or Zaino. The process will take a couple hours, but is well worth it; my front bumper is really damaged, but nobody can tell even close-up.

Mr. P. :)

DVK, MisterP,

Thank you for the quick response. I bought the truck used in Feb this year, and it came that way. I really don't have the $$ for another winter vehicle so that is out. I am going to order DER immediately and stop and grab the clay bar on the way home this afternoon. Again thanks for the input, I am going to do the self repair for now, and re-paint out of pure necessity. I am about to accept a position in Tucson, AZ... so bu bye Ohio, maybe then I will repaint, makes no since right now- already Sept and I am going to have to endure a little winter here before I get out...

Thanks again gentlemen.... this website is awesome

I myself would take a cotton swab with rubbing alcohol on it to remove the wax in the chips. Then I would go to the dealership and get some paint and fill the chips in with the ripped off side of a match. Then you will not have to worry about wax getting in the chips.

Brandon

Owner of

It'll Buff Out

Automobile Detailing Plus

Does anyone sell a front end cover for the SS?  This would be ideal for winter conditions, highway trips, ect.  The front bumber tends to be very prone to chips.

You could have a 'clear bra' installed. That stuff is just a 3M sheeting that can be cut to fit. I would advise against any traditional leather bra as it just traps dirt/road grime behind it and basically sandpapers your bumper to death. Especially with the conditions hes describing the last thing you want is a soggy, wet, peice of leather with dirt under it up against your paint.

You could have a 'clear bra' installed. That stuff is just a 3M sheeting that can be cut to fit. I would advise against any traditional leather bra as it just traps dirt/road grime behind it and basically sandpapers your bumper to death. Especially with the conditions hes describing the last thing you want is a soggy, wet, peice of leather with dirt under it up against your paint.

I have seen some horrible things happen up here with Leather bras, definitely don't do that.

DVK, how well does the 3M sheeting work and can this be applied yourself. I believe it can be purchased as an individual, maybe I am incorrect. Thinking about doing the steps to correct my issue and then covering it with the 3M product... If I go with the dish soap, then clay bar, I am assuming if any white still exists, then do the rubbing alcohol and q-tip?

Also, truck has minor clear coat swirls throughout (minor, but everywhere)... will your DER instructions be enough to resolve, or should I look into a detailer.. I have heard some real horror stories about bad detailers in my area, so I would rather do myself.

I've never attempted a clear bra myself. A couple of guys in the local Vette club have it... doesn't look bad from far away, but up close it looks shitty IMO... would be a good solution just for the winter months. I think its something that needs to be professionally installed, but I'm not sure :dunno:

As for the clay, you don't necessarily have to use DER's clay, but it is of a better quality than most. I personally only like DER's clay or Mothers California Gold... if you're going to get DER I'd just say order it at the same time. Stay away from Clay Magic and McGuires too sticky and soft IMO, makes them harder to use.

I've never attempted a clear bra myself. A couple of guys in the local Vette club have it... doesn't look bad from far away, but up close it looks shitty IMO... would be a good solution just for the winter months. I think its something that needs to be professionally installed, but I'm not sure  :dunno:

As for the clay, you don't necessarily have to use DER's clay, but it is of a better quality than most. I personally only like DER's clay or Mothers California Gold... if you're going to get DER I'd just say order it at the same time. Stay away from Clay Magic and McGuires too sticky and soft IMO, makes them harder to use.

:withstupid: Yeah there's a big difference in the 'workability' of the products, as well as how abrasive/agressive the compounds are.

My experience - with the Maguires you HAVE to use the quick detailer spray with it, if you try to use it with soapy water it becomes a bear to use (sticks to the paint, streaks, etc) and if you try to work an almost dry surface with the Maguire's it will leave scuffing/micro-scratching in the paint (you need good eyes/jeweler's loupe + flourescent light to see it), you've got to use a liberal amount of quick-detailer. But the Zaino clay will not do this, it works best with light soapy water and when dry will not leave scratches, but it is *not* that abrasive, takes a while to get road tar, etc off but is the safest I've used. I have found the Maguires clay to be unmatched on cleaning windshield glass. :thumbs:

... I bought the truck used in Feb this year, and it came that way. ...

You bought it from a piss-poor driver - I have found that stone chips on the front of a vehicle are caused primarily by one thing - tailgating trucks, especially at freeway speeds. Semi-trucks are so heavy that they are continuously breaking down the asphault road surface as they roll along; so at best you are being pelted with asphault bits, dirt, and rock dust; at worst, the trucker weaves into the shoulder and you are pelted with aggregate :mad: I make a concious habit of having a lot of cushion around me, I either stay well behind the trucks or pass them with authority :driving: and I have only picked up 2 stone chips in my hood in the last 18 months.

you can try some color match wax .The dye in the wax may stain whats there now,a cheap fix worth a try?

Typically color matching wax has little to no protection in it... then using a good polish/sealer like DER will strip the color right back off again so its really not worth it.

Archived