How to Request: Tranny fluid and transfer case

Ron's SS

Got to look at the trans pan just before dark, there is a drain plug (yeah), but how about the transfer case. Got to do some fluids and Mister P's front and rear end How To's are great (thank you). Maybe a transfer case/ tranny? Hate to be a pest but you sure made it easy...

oooooooooo-kay. I'm changing my oil tomorrow so I'll snap a pic for you then. In the meantime buy two quarts of GM Autotrack II fluid from your nearest GM parts counter ($9@) and either a pour tube or gear lube pump...

Mr. P.

As for your tranny, I recommend taking it to a shop do get it done correctly. I have a transtech machine at my shop that copletely flushes the trans, you can drop the pan and change the filter and approx. 5qts of fluid, but to do it right I recommend flushing it. :thumbs:

As for a how to on her Mr. P is the man do to it.

As for your tranny, I recommend taking it to a shop do get it done correctly. I have a transtech machine at my shop that copletely flushes the trans, you can drop the pan and change the filter and approx. 5qts of fluid, but to do it right I recommend flushing it. :thumbs:

Thanks for the info, my local dealer told me they would just drain and fill for $110, so I either am going to do it myself or find a shop that will flush it. So I need 6 quarts of fluid... any recommendations. I have heard to stay away from synthetic for the tranny... thanks :chevy:

WARNING: Be very careful of the 2cent drainplug that is in the tranny pan. I used my very best Snap-on 6 point socket and it rounded off like it was made of cheese. I had to weld a larger nut to the drain plug to get it loose. By the way with just a fluid change I only had to add 4 quarts. Also the fluid change would be a good time to do the accumulator upgrade, and possibly the Corvette or billet servo upgrade too. My dealer priced me at $11.50 a quart for the transfer case fluid. Later

Dave

WARNING: Be very careful of the 2cent drainplug that is in the tranny pan. I used my very best Snap-on 6 point socket and it rounded off like it was made of cheese. ...

I did that to mine, too. :banghead: Still haven't tried to recover it yet, I just tore into the tranny to install the shift kit so the pan had to come off anyway...

Mr. P. :)

• 10 months later...
WARNING: Be very careful of the 2cent drainplug that is in the tranny pan. I used my very best Snap-on 6 point socket and it rounded off like it was made of cheese. ...

I did that to mine, too. :banghead: Still haven't tried to recover it yet, I just tore into the tranny to install the shift kit so the pan had to come off anyway...

any part numbers for the servos/accumulator??? they are direct bolt ins, correct? any idea on pricing?

which trans fluid should we be using?

thanx in advance mr p, you seem to be the sss guru in these parts

Well, guru might be a bit to strong a compliment, but thank you! :D There's still a whole dang lot I'm learning.

Servos and accumulators part numbers, I dunno... Yes, no tranny modification is required, the servos and accumulators just get R&R'd. If you can afford another $150-200 I would also advise the Trans-Go shift kit while you've got the pan off. Parts are available from several aftermarket tranny shops, they usually sell 4L60E shift-improver kits; ask for the Vette 1-2 servo/accum and optinally if you can afford it also the Sonax billet 4th gear servo/accum, I have both in my truck and love them. FLT (finish line transmissions) is a good source, or if you want to keep your business 'in the family' PM either Zippy or BMan and they will hook you up.

After installing these parts you will need corrective PCM tuning, because in time the adaptive behavior of the PCM will soften shifting to undo the new behavior of the Vette servo (it'll soo return to shifting like before the mod).

Tranny fluid - use a quality Dexron III fluid. You could use synthetic ATF but you will loose shift firmness unless your transmission and tuning are optimized/set-up for it. The only advantage with synthetic fluid (I am told) is that you can go longer between changes, and as I am running a hi-stall converter and had my tranny gone-through at the same time I decided to have it set it up for use specifically with synthetic ATF.

Which reminds me, I'm due for a tranny flush/fill.

Archived