Can't decide on a cam!!

budhayes3

Hi folks! Newbie here with an old question. Gonna be building a N/A LQ9 for my truck, and I can't decide which bumpstick to put in it :banghead: . I've sifted through 14 pages of the search engine's results for "cam", posted at perfermancetrucks.net, emailed Thunder Racing, etc. I'd like something that sounds mean and lopey, but first and foremost I'd like something that performs well on the street. I plan to install long tubes and a better exhaust, and also a torque converter matched to the set-up. Eventually I will build up the trans to a 4L65E, probably when the 6.0 has my 60E for lunch :D . My rear is a 3.73.

I originally had my mind made up on a TR224, but Thunder said it'll be a little much for the street, and probably wouldn't be a whole lotta fun to drive. They recommended a Comp 216/220 .525/.534 custom ground on a 112lsa, or at the most their TR220 (.551/.551 112lsa). I've also considered the Vinci 062 (210/218 .551/.551 112lsa).

Thanks all!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think with a 3000+ stall you should be fine with the TR220. I knew guys back in the 5.7 LS1 F-body world making over 400 rwhp with that cam, ported heads and longtubes. I think I might go to a 114LSA just for a bit smoother idle and broader powerband but that's your call.

i'd recomend the comp cams XR275HR. you could also all allen futral at 225-791-9593 and he'll set you up with something for your application specificly. i'd say either would be a good choice. the comp cam would just leave you with more choices on who to buy it from.

Thanks for the responses guys, I really appreciate it :) I'll probably give Allan at FMS a call some time next week, and I just filled out the cam request form at Cam Motion, thanks for the link NakedAV. Seems like the more info I get, the harder it is to choose lol! :banghead:

Thanks for the responses guys, I really appreciate it :) I'll probably give Allan at FMS a call some time next week, and I just filled out the cam request form at Cam Motion, thanks for the link NakedAV. Seems like the more info I get, the harder it is to choose lol! :banghead:

I wold go bigger than the 216/220. I put a 218/224 .562/.565 113 in my 5.3, and even with the stock converter I loved it. In fact I ordered the converter the same day it blew. I was wondering if it would be too small for the 6.0 :dunno: I was thinking a TR224, but if mine can be salvaged, I think I'll stay with it. :smash:

I wold go bigger than the 216/220.  I put a 218/224 .562/.565 113 in my 5.3, and even with the stock converter I loved it.  In fact I ordered the converter the same day it blew.  I was wondering if it would be too small for the 6.0 :dunno: I was thinking a TR224, but if mine can be salvaged, I think I'll stay with it. :smash:

Hey white1, I see you found your way over here to SilveradoSS.com too! Seems like alot of us 4.8-5.3 guys are taking the 6.0 plunge!

I had my eye on that TR224 also, but after some correspondence with Thunder Racing, I decided that I want to keep my powerband down a bit, and build more of a torque monster than top end screamer. I kinda want to have my cake and eat it too...I want something that sounds nasty but will work with a stall between 2600-2800. I really don't want to have to rev it up more than 6300 if possible too...6k would be optimal.

If you really want a "torque monster," then build a 408.  Even a 6.0 does not provide "gobbs" of torque, although adequate.

well...maybe a torque gremlin then lol :jester:

Torque gremlin hugh :crackup: I got a 3000 stall, so I think I can stand a little RPM :crackup: Maybe thats why my 5.3 bit the dust though? :dunno:

Yea, but for some reason I don't think you're too sad about being "forced" to upgrade to the 6.0...I started dropping hints to my wife a while back about predicting that something catostrophic was going to happen to my 5.3, and that it would be more cost effective to upgrade when it does :D She told me "don't bother blowing your engine, just get the one you want...you're going to anyway!" Smart woman :thumbs:

Did you find out if your cam is salvageable(sp?) yet? Sounds like it would be a nice match with a 6.0 and 3k stall. I'm starting to lean more towards the TR220 at this moment, although I change my mind about every hour :banghead:

Archived