Powerdyne intercooler option

Hey I just picked up a Powerdyne supercharger. It seemed like a killer deal, and I am wondering.... Since it isn't aftercooled could you plumb up something using say a factory intercooler from a Duramax truck? Would it be a matter of plumbing the intercooler to the supercharger? Maybe I need to get it first and take a good look at how it fits. Just looking for some input. Later

Dave

hope you have better luck than i did, mine locked up within 3 months, still have rebuilt unit sitting in closet.

Which unit do you have..the BD1 or the XB1? I got a good deal...I think....on the stuff. I hope it works out for me, maybe I can be the one person who has a good experience. Later

Dave

hope you have better luck than i did, mine locked up within 3 months, still have rebuilt unit sitting in closet.

Which unit do you have..the BD1 or the XB1? I got a good deal...I think....on the stuff. I hope it works out for me, maybe I can be the one person who has a good experience. Later

Dave

bd1, i hope you do have better luck,

i got the kit, took a month to get program after dozens of calls, some of the parts didn't fit right, had wrong belt in kit, directions sucked, but it's not that hard to figure out, couldn't get the belt to stop squelling at higher rpm about 4000-4500, had no sack off the line intill it hit about 2000 rpm then pulled hard till 4500 and belt would start squelling and truck would fall flat on its face, i gave up after it locked up on me on the highway in vermont and melted the belt, 20 degrees out and trailer and sleds in tow, sat there for an hour before a cop stoped and called a flat bed and a truck to haul the trailer, sat in napa parking lot tring to match up belt to bypass s/c, and drove home, impeller bearings failed, inpeller fins broke apart and pieces got blown into engine, ended up with alot of blowby and two cyliders with low compression, took it off, sent it in for warrenty rebuild and replaced motor in truck, when i got the s/c back i couldn't get myself to put it back on, but i really liked the extra power so i forked out the cash for a radix. awsome kit, everything fit, great directions, awsome power right off the line all the was through the rpms, has been problem free, and can smoke up my 35's, and the polished unit looks great, wish i got it in the first place could have saved the 7k i paid for the powerdye and motor.

if you have any problems get ahold of pappydan on http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/

he has had good luck with his

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the Powerdyne (dyno proven products) renamed unit which is essentially a BD11a. I think they just redo some of the inside stuff. I've had it on the truck now for a while and it runs like a raped ape. I really don't get beat by anything on the street. I've raced Mustang GT's and beat em and all kinds of other cars too. I regularly beat my friends with their Duramax diesels with all the bolt-ons. I haven't gotten a chance to run it at the track but i pull mid 14 second vehicles by at least a truck length or 2.

I'm in the process of putting a fmic on it this week and upping the boost to 10lbs. Right now it's at 6 lbs.

I've heard alot of good and alot of bad with the Powerdynes. If you got a good deal then go for it. That's what i did and so far so good. I hope i don't run into any of the issues i've heard about. Time will tell i guess.....

I'm trying to round up the last little bit of stuff I need to install. Powerdyne's "Help" line, and I use that term loosely isn't much help. You would think if a guy asks you to e-mail him a price list for the components, you'd want to make a sale. I have called and e-mailed....guess I'll have to wear out their phone.

I can't wait to get it put on, do you have any belt slippage issues? Did you run their tensioner or come up with something else? Good luck with it, I've got the BD-11a also, we'll see....

Dave

I was having a little belt slippage at the high end but cranked down on the tensioner and it disappeared. The kit i have is made by Dyno Proven Products but uses a Powerdyne head unit. I don't know if the brackets are the same ones used in the Powerdyne kit so i couldn't tell you about the difference in tensioner.

Good luck......i'll let you know how my intercooler setup goes in the coming days.

are either of you considering upgrading to the XB-1A?

As money allows, I'd love to. I bought my kit minus injectors and a tune for $1100. The head unit is new as well as idlers and tensioner, hell it is a virtually new kit. I can use the programmer to clear/diagnose codes and monitor live engine functions so that's not a wash either. I figure I'll only be about $1600-$1800 deep in my kit with injectors and a PCM4less tune...not too shabby. Like I said this stuff dosen't even look like it was ever used. I would love to have a XB-1A compressor, I guess they're like a vortech kinda? Later

Dave

• 3 years later...
I'm trying to round up the last little bit of stuff I need to install. Powerdyne's "Help" line, and I use that term loosely isn't much help. You would think if a guy asks you to e-mail him a price list for the components, you'd want to make a sale. I have called and e-mailed....guess I'll have to wear out their phone.

I can't wait to get it put on, do you have any belt slippage issues? Did you run their tensioner or come up with something else? Good luck with it, I've got the BD-11a also, we'll see....

Dave

I found a BD-11a for sale never used. If I put it on my 03 SS (arrival blue) will I need anything extra like a tune? Any body have any track times for one of these on an SS?

Archived