Oil Stuff

calisapo

Hey Guys/Gals,

Can any one recommend a high flow or performance oil filter? I checked with K&N and they told me not to use the oil filter on the SS until one has been approved for it. This brings me to another question. I've read a lot on this site about guys putting on parts such as a K&N oil filter, K&N Intake, Air Raid, and the like. The question I have is whether that is a good idea. I've talked to a tech at each company and although they all have parts that fit, they all recommend against using those parts until approved. Am I being overly cautious and anal by waiting, or are the people using them taking a gamble with their money? The only thing I'm smart enough to know is that I'm a numnut when it comes to the new engines. I'm just really impatient and want to start putting things together, and if everyone is sucessful, I guess I should follow. :troll:

Hey Nelson,

Many on this site use the Mobile 1 filter and oil (as do I). You will probably get as many suggestions as there are members. AMSOIL is another good oil but not API approved. Does not mean it's not an excellent oil? No, it just means that that agency has not approved it for additive reasons. Many folks swear by the oil and filter.

All the air intakes made by reputable mfg's will be okay. I used Air Raid on my '99 Silverado for three years. The only reason I have no already put it on mine is that I may s-chgr it and if I do the filter $$ will be wasted. K&N is also a very good intake "system."

As to being "overly cautious, I don't there is such a thing. It's your "baby" and you should worry about taking care of it. As to the items you just mentioned, they are all good. You won't have any problems.

:thumbs:

Hey Nelson,

Many on this site use the Mobile 1 filter and oil (as do I).

that I may s-chgr it

I agree with Lee's comments and also use Mobil 1 5W30.....................

...........................and Lee, see your are think about making a RED FLAME here :cool: I knew you would figure out some way to be faster than the BLACK SS's :D

Great, thanks guys. I was already leaning towards the Mobil 1 so I feel better about that. Thanks for the info on the intakes too. I think I'll go ahead and get mine, and if I buy a SC later, oh well, it's only money thrown away, LOL. Thank you bretheren.

Nelson :cheers:

Just do like i am going to do sell it and get what i can get out of it when i get a SC.

I have the K&N cold air intake. it does really well. i have only changed the oil once and i used reagular mobil and a ac delco filter for a 2000 chevy because the filter is twice as long as the recomended filter. But next oil change i am going to use mobil 1 10w40 and a k&n filter.

:chevy: I have heard really good things about Royal Purple however no one sells is in NJ that I know of. I guess I will need to order it on line if I decide to use it. I am planning on changing all the fluids to synthetic. Has anyone used Royal Purple in the gang?

I knew you would figure out some way to be faster than the BLACK SS's

rm,

We gotta stick together, bro. :D

:lol::lol::lol::lol::thumbs:

don't forget the rest of us REDUNs.

I promise pictures. I just got back from Boston. Will try to get the truck cleaned today and take some shots of the custom work done.

Archived