Eclipse vs Pioneer double din nav

BSER

I'm trying to decide between the pioneer avic-1 and the eclipse avn5435. Both have two cd slots and specs are almost identical.

The only technical difference I can find is is that the pioneer is available with XM and the eclipse has sirius. Both can work with our streeing wheel controls and onstar.

The eclipse system is less expensive. I can get the pioneer installed for about $2200 and the eclipse for about $1900 with the adapters and xm/serius.

Is there some reason i should choose the pioneer at the addtional cost. Some of you pros help me out please. If it's mecanical no prob but electronics isn't my area. :eek:

I have installed Both units, Both work great..

One Reason to avoid the pioneer is that while the truck is moving it will not allow any video processing to work. It has a built in gyro that keeps it from showing up.

The way around it is to use the back up camera option so that your external video sources are input through that, but it is not as flexable if you plan on doing video.

The Eclipse has 8V pre outs and is more of an "audiophile" head unit. I belive there are more choices as far as time correction, eq and such. you can bypass the Video lock out any time and still have a back up camera installed as well.

Like I said both are great, Ill give the nod to the Eclipse for a superior product and better navigation set up.

Personally I like the pioneer better. partially because i'm not that concerned about the DVD function. By the way, one of my friends has the avic-d1 that he was able to disable the gyro. He had to take the unit apart but it can be done. I have done it on the lexus navigation systems so they will play dvd's before.

hope this may help sweeten up the deal a bit. This should easily make the pioneer system cheaper than the eclipse if your interested. Check out the link.

http://www.mytaxfree.com/ViewProducts3.asp...=2322&REF=shpng

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Circuit city says that the Eclipse and the Pioneer double din nav will not fit in our trucks without mods, they said its to deep so our they right or what? I was told they would from some brothers on here but dont know why someone who installs these units would tell customers that, if they didnt know for sure.

Circuit city says that the Eclipse and the Pioneer double din nav will not fit in our trucks without mods, they said its to deep so our they right or what? I was told they would from some brothers on here but dont know why someone who installs these units would tell customers that, if they didnt know for sure.

I had Eclipse's first attempt at a double din Nav head unit, the AVN2454. It had nice features but was a horrible HU. This one was too deep and the metal brace that the back of the stock HU rests in had to be cut out so the Eclipse would fit, not sure if the new stuff is any different.

This second year eclipse attempt at thier AVN line seems much better than the first, good luck. btw, I ended up with Kenwood, which has proven to be very trouble free.

Archived