home powdercoating

True, oven could be a problem. I was thinking of getting an old POS out of the paper to do anything I needed.

I don't need big stuff.

I was thinking stock valve covers, plate that holds coils, calipers, easily do a set of heads, and the list goes on. No special size needed for any of those. You could do some suspension pieces easily - maybe new ones yet to be installed? Anything really.

The home systems work well, as long as it's a good quality powder being used. I have a friend that owns his own coating business, and we have talked about home systems before., and he only really made mention of quality powders.

I like it as well. I think it could get me in trouble though. For some reason I think I will have an irresistible urge to powdercoat things around the house....silverware, door handles, faucets, wife's jewerly. Hmmmm, black chrome shower heads, now you are talking. :devil:

I like it as well.  I think it could get me in trouble though.  For some reason I think I will have an irresistible urge to powdercoat things around the house....silverware, door handles, faucets, wife's jewerly.  Hmmmm, black chrome shower heads, now you are talking.  :devil:

If you look in the picture gallery, there is a faucet that has been done. It has unlimited potential.

Anybody know how thick powder caoting is? :dunno: Does the thickness vary depending on how it's applied? Reading this gave me an idea for where I work. Would need it to be between .001"-.015" thick and variable. Is this possible?

The home systems work well, as long as it's a good quality powder being used. I have a friend that owns his own coating business, and we have talked about home systems before., and he only really made mention of quality powders.

If it turns out as good as some of the things they showed during the race, then you wouldn't have a problem with quality.

The only concern I have, is the gun is battery operated. I looked for the spec on that and could not find any, wondering if it's a battery like a cordless drill or say "D" batteries. The price seems pretty decent, and it is a sears product.

I think most coats end up about 1/16 thick. I think thats .0625 but I believe you can run more coats on top and make it thicker.

Thanks. .062 is way too thick for what I had in mind. What I need is something that sticks to bare metal and can be built up to a max. .015 thickness.

They had them on sale at the Sears here a few weeks ago and I came close to getting one. Of course the oven thing was my issue too. I thought about buying a crappy one and just putting it in the garage but I am moving to Hawaii in March so I decided to wait.

Don't you have to have an outlet for an oven done by an electrician? Didni't think it was just a regular outlet.

Archived