home powdercoating

I like it as well.  I think it could get me in trouble though.  For some reason I think I will have an irresistible urge to powdercoat things around the house....silverware, door handles, faucets, wife's jewerly.  Hmmmm, black chrome shower heads, now you are talking.  :devil:

same here! I'd probably go nuts with one too. Only thing holding me back is having a place to put another oven. :dunno:

I have always wanted to try this. but my mom wouldn't want me using her oven. If you use an oven to powder coat you cant use it to cook food.

As for electric for a oven. you need a 240 volt oven outlet. which means you needs a double pole breaker in the box.

• 2 months later...
Anyone seen this?

Sears.com

They showed this product during Sunday's NASCAR race.  Awesome product.  Thinking of buying it.  Lots of potential and they have like 20 colors offered for it.

I have one. haven't used it yet. Don't pay $189 Catch them on sale for around $130. Harbor Freight has one too but it is not as trick.

A few more tips since I used to do this for a side business:

Soak all parts in a non solvent based cleaner, auch as paint thinner/etc to clean all of the grease/debris off of the surface. This is AFTER putting the part through a media blast to remove any rust or scale. Let the part dry a minimum of 20-30 minutes or blow dry with an air nozzle before putting the part into the oven. Beware of hidden cavities that can hold copious amounts of flamable fumes/liquids, or the oven door may blow open when your prebaking or curing a part... ask me how I know that one! My ears ring just thinking about it! :crazy:

Prebake all parts if you can to avoid outgassing bubbles in your finish. If you can't find the time to prebake all parts (usually 10-20 minutes at 50 degrees above flow out temp will be good) at LEAST prebake all aluminum parts. Aluminum is by far the worst for outgassing because of the pores left in the casting process. Billet and forged aluminum is a bit better, but still far worse than steel.

Get the oven from a steet corner for free, or head to the local Catholic Mission store (there's one in EVERY major city I've ever been to in the US, heck, even Des Moines has several). They take old ovens and fix them up for disadvantaged families/etc. I think my last one cost me 20 bucks because none of the burners worked (didn't care, oven part was fine). Also, buy a small 110V toaster oven for $20 brand new from Wal-Mart if you ever plan on doing any small parts. It saves on electricity and is far more handy to do small items in, like throttle bodies, bolts, brackets, etc.

As far as the Sears cordless one... I wouldn't trust the coverage on complex items without having a grounding cord to hold the static charge in the part. I like the Pro series one from Eastwood, it's the one I have. :cool:

Here's a couple of shots of parts he and I (mostly he) did back when we were first learning our system...

nissan_t_blue.jpg

redvalvecover1.jpg

redvalvecover2.jpg

It's adictive stuff as someone else mentioned. I have candy purple coated garden tools because they were laying there when the purple candy color came in and there was nothing else to coat to test it on! LOL! :crackup:

Archived