4X4 or allwheel drive?

There are numerous small differences but for a basic run down...

AWD = full time... can't turn it off, even if you wanted to.

4wd = push button... you can switch between all 4 or just 2 whenever you want.

Theres not really and advantage or disadvantage to having either... they both have their ups in downs. If a boat ramp is the only time you need the added tractioin then I'd say 4wd would be your better choice.

There are numerous small differences but for a basic run down...

AWD = full time... can't turn it off, even if you wanted to.

4wd = push button... you can switch between all 4 or just 2 whenever you want.

Theres not really and advantage or disadvantage to having either... they both have their ups in downs. If a boat ramp is the only time you need the added tractioin then I'd say 4wd would be your better choice.

I like the idea of being able to turn it off when not needed is a plus . Is there a weight diffrences ,and if so how much? 4X4 have hi and low gears in the transfer case and allwheel drive has just one right? :chevy:

I have to disagree. The AWD aids cornering ability that you don't get with the 4X4. Since it's always there... it provides not only better launches in all conditions and aids stability it also helps pull the nose through the corners....especially at slower speeds but even at higher speeds.

I hit an unexpected corner at 95-100 mph in wet conditions one night. I was out of the throttle and on the braks and as the nose started to slip and drift towards the rail... I quickly used less brake and applied some throttle. All the sudden the AWD got the nose pointed where I wanted it to go and IMHO... kept me off the rail. If the truck was a 2x4 or a 4x4 I believe it would have wound up wrecked that night.

Of course if burning up tires doing smokey burnouts is more your passion... then go 4x4 or 2x4.

I hit an unexpected corner at 95-100 mph in wet conditions one night. I was out of the throttle and on the braks and as the nose started to slip and drift towards the rail... I quickly used less brake and applied some throttle. All the sudden the AWD got the nose pointed where I wanted it to go and IMHO... kept me off the rail. If the truck was a 2x4 or a 4x4 I believe it would have wound up wrecked that night.

Funny you said that .... I had a very similar experience. Snowing and I was flying down a single lane gravel road ... A hairpin turn right after a long drawn out turn ( no line of sight due to trees) and I hit the brakes ... the momentum kept me sliding out towards the canyon outter edge ... I said screw it and put on the throttle and the nose gripped and we powered through the corner ... after my heart slowed down and the wife stopped beating me over the head from the backseat ... I praised the AWD for saving my truck.

I have to disagree. The AWD aids cornering ability that you don't get with the 4X4. Since it's always there... it provides not only better launches in all conditions and aids stability it also helps pull the nose through the corners....especially at slower speeds but even at higher speeds.

Of course if burning up tires doing smokey burnouts is more your passion... then go 4x4 or 2x4.

I am just wondering why you where doing 95-100 mph in wet conditions at night?

um..... well I was on my way to Austin from Dallas and running about 75 when a Sierra Denali with a few mods passed me doing around 80-85. There was just a light sprinkle coming down so I said to myself "what the hell" and turned on the fog lights. :crazy:

that was it......and it was on :lol:

we had a few short runs up to around 100 in between dodging the traffic and after us going through that corner (through a construction zone) with me on the outside lane driving around him....I guess he had decided I was crazier then he was and our fun was over. :lol:

4x4 will get you better gas milage and enable you to have some fun too. :devil: AWD as well as 4x4 (when engaged) will aid in handling. Its great on the curves.

I wish my ss could be disengaged sometimes but the awd does help alot in the handling dept. As far as gas milage goes I think our gear ratio hurts us more than the awd does.

4wd should never be used for an aid in cornering... it'll actually destroy the trucks drivetrain to corner in 4wd. The AWD system allows the tires to turn at different speeds as in a turn while 4wd won't. The only time an 4wd system should be used on the street is if the person intends on going in a straight line, when you start getting into the issues of cornering and handling 4wd is not intended for that.

I'm confused, there's 07 silverado information out somewhere??

Lots of info about the powertrain and the new upgrades to the new vortec max 6.0. Some spy shots with camo but no interior shot at all. Look at insidergm.com and truckenthusiast.com. For some reason I can no longer login on the second one so were I found the info I can't remember. Check under vortec max I believe someone posted a link?

Archived