Beefing up the 4L65-E

Sandkkoenig Asked this question, and i thought it deserved it's own thread:

Do any of you who might be transmission gurus understand what modifications would be necessary to handle the stock Whipple boost level?? valve body mods? electronics? or would it get way deeper than this??

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! DC for settin this up-

Now- as far as the Escalade goes- is this running through a 2wd setup? cause there is no way this kind of horsepower will "hook up" on the street with street tires- hence not "full" strain on the trans-

The AWD will transfer everything to the ground and just flat out leave- (hopefully not leaving the transmission on the ground)

Wipple power is obviously beyond the torqe rating of the 4l65e -

there are several shift kits available out there - ones that can be installed with trans in vehicle - would this be worth it??

• Admin

I think its not a question of how much, but how long..

Boosting the power will dramaticly reduce clutch pack life, etc..

I would think you would want to poost line pressure somehow to increase shift firmness. Possibly a new converter as well... :)

sandkkoenig - the 6.0L Escalade is AWD, just like the SS, using the the same engine and transmission. A shift kit might be interesting, if they still work in these new-fangles computerized cars. It might be more of a computer software change than a physical shift kit these days :)

Import Hater- A cooler is a good idea. I don't recall if there is already one present on the SS. If there is, it is probably the 'throught the radiator' type and could benifit from and external cooler. At least we have the Trans Temp gauge to keep an eye on things to see if it would be useful.

Kelly Blue Book lists the tranny cooler as a standard feature. It's listed as - H.D. Auxiliary Transmission Oil Cooling. I agree with sandkkoenig, any supercharging would require an internal upgrade to the tranny. The real danger here is that an AWD vehicle WILL hook up all that torque and transfer that stress through the tranny. Lingenfelter charges $2,195 for the upgrade and warrantees it for 2yrs/24k. I can't imagine letting anyone untested work on the SS.

cvp

Archived