Beefing up the 4L65-E

• Admin
C5Silverbullet,

I hate to break this to ya' but no one based in Weare, NH is working with GM on a "daily" basis.

cvp ;)

I'm sorry, but i disagree.

I'd be glad to show you my cell phone bill and email logs... :rolleyes:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mervz-

It takes a big man to admit a mistake. Thanks for the answer. I meant no disrespect with regard to your GM connections. My Father worked for GM his whole life, so I've met many folks who claim to have insider information or "connections." So you'll excuse my skepticism. What I will not do is suck up to the moderator.

Thanks again for the answer.

cvp :D

p.s. Great website. You got's skills my brotha' B)

Who said this transmission is a 4l65e-

Is it assumed cause of the escalade motor??

chevy has never put anything smaller than a 4l85e behind six liters- just a thought...

my dealer spec sheet from my order (black with all options for your buyer list) says HD 4speed M32 option (the 1500hd crew cab has the HD option and it is a 4l85) this leads me to believe that this is a 4l85 like all the general motors news releases say it's gonna be - if so Whipple is gettin a call from me.

I posed this question in anther thread. Most GM press releases refer to the 4L65-E (also called the M32), but there was one that referred to the 4L85-E. The 4L65-E is sufficient for the 6.0L (LQ9) motor, but those of us interested in supercharging would prefer the higher capacity of the 4L85-E. You said you dealer spec sheet says "HD 4speed M32 " which corresponds to the 4L65-E.

This site has some interesting reading on the transmissions.

http://media.gm.com/division/powertrain/index.html

It lists the transmissions like this :

Hydra-Matic 4L60-E/4L65-E (M30/M32)

Hydra-Matic 4L80-E/4L85-E (MT1/MN8)

• 10 months later...

Hi guys,

As I understand it, the power programmer will improve shifts to a point by increasing line pressure. Also anytime you work a trans harder, the first thing you want to do is improve cooling, and fluid filtration. You may wish to use synthetic trans fluid also. I'm sure the output of the supercharger will require improvements in drumclutches, but the powerprogrammer should help out if you take it easy on it.

If you can afford the supercharger, just go ahead and have B&M build you a Heavy Duty Trans, it's only money! :P

These trucks have the 6.0L motor. the 4L65-E is only available behind the LQ9 motor right now, so that means you can only get it in the escalade and the SS. everything else either has the 4L60E or the 4L80E.

Also our trucks do have an external tranny cooler and it keeps the trans cool enough. unless you get a converter with a stall higher than 3000, you dont really need it.

A shift kit will help the trans out. so will new servos. The vette servo is good, but the billet servo will really help out the 1-2 shift. It will increase the pressure and help the bands hold tighter. you can also get a stronger servo for the overdrive, this will greatly increase the holding power of overdrive. which is probably the first thing that will go out in this trans.

If you really need a stronger tranny you are gonna have to go internal. this trans already has more clutch packs than the 4L60 and im not sure if you can add more, so all you can probably do is put stronger ones in. And you can also put some kevlar bands in to increase the holding power of the shifts. If you still need more, you have to start swapping out internal parts. the trans also already has a hardened output shaft so you dont need that. but you can upgrade all the other crap in there with hardened parts to really beef this thing up.

It also already has the 5 planetary sun gear, which is a big upgrade in the 4L60. This is a pretty strong tranny to begin with and it really wont take much to get it to handle the stuff we will be putting it through.

Also this tranny is actually rated for 400 ft/lbs of torque, but GM lowered it to 380 in the trucks because they feel that it should be a little lower in the heavier trucks. Basically they are saying it to cover their ass for anyone that does any mods to their motors. These trannys are pretty strong and will take a lot of abuse. They are the best trannys out there right now

no 6.0's have a 4L85E. the 4L85E is only used behind the big block in the utilitys at this point. the LQ4 in the 8600gvw and higher trucks use the 4L80E and under 8600gvw, the LQ9 and LQ4 use the 4L65E. the 4L65E is a pretty stout unit as it start, but can still use improvements from shift kits and billet servo's. internally, a wider kevlar band and blue clutches. many other improvements can be installed, but compared to and old version of the 4L60E, it's quite improved. programming helps, but isn't really a big help on an all stock trans.

Sandkkoenig Asked this question, and i thought it deserved it's own thread:

Do any of you who might be transmission gurus understand what modifications would be necessary to handle the stock Whipple boost level?? valve body mods? electronics? or would it get way deeper than this??

I'd suggest calling Chuck @ Finish Line Performance (FLP) He's the expert

• 2 weeks later...

SSilverado60,

Do you have a part # for the correct Trans-Go shift kit? Also, which servo's do you recommend?

I would like to install a Yank TT3000, and want to upgrade to the shift kit and servo's at that time.

Anything else, besides pulling it apart completely?

I am also running LS1 Edit to get rid of Tq Mgnt, should I boost line pressure too? What and when is it too much?

I look forward to a little insight :crazy:

you can also get a stronger servo for the overdrive, this will greatly increase the holding power of overdrive. which is probably the first thing that will go out in this trans.

I agree 100% I believe the OD will go first. Good Kevlar bands will also help.

Archived