Vortech Max vs VHO availability

Dylan06SS

Just looking around the Chevy site and I'm noticing the only way you can add the Vortec Max option is to build a crew cab 4wd LT3 truck... are they not letting you add the LQ9 on anything other than a loaded crew cab anymore?

Vortech Max for 2006 "Requires 1500 Extended Cab Standard Box or Crew Cab Short Box models." as per the Chevy site. Vortec Max package is for 4WD and the Performance Edition (B4V) is for 2WD. Performance Edition is only available on Extended Cab Standard Bed 2WD trucks. Clear as mud?

2006 Silverado 6.0 LQ9 availability:

Extended Cab Standard Box

SS (2WD 1/2-Ton)

Intimidator SS (2WD 1/2-Ton)

Performance Edition (2WD 1/2-Ton)

Performance Edition (4WD 1/2-Ton)

Vortec Max Performance Pack (2WD 1/2-Ton)

Vortec Max Performance Pack (4WD 1/2-Ton)

Crew Cab Short Box

This info is in the 06 Silverado Brochure.

SS (2WD 1/2-Ton)

Crew Cab Short Box

Yeah... I've seen that too... but I find it hard to believe that GM would require you to get the CC in 4wd with the LT3 interior trim just to add the LQ9. Theres got to be a way around that.

SS (2WD 1/2-Ton)

Crew Cab Short Box

Yeah... I've seen that too... but I find it hard to believe that GM would require you to get the CC in 4wd with the LT3 interior trim just to add the LQ9. Theres got to be a way around that.

Am I the only one that is reading the Vortec Max specs? "Vortec Max Performance Pack

includes Vortec Max 6000 V8, super-duty four-speed automatic transmission, automatic locking rear differential, Ride Control suspension, Autotrac, external engine and transmission oil coolers, heavy-duty trailering equipment and 17-in., six-lug, polished cast-aluminum wheels"

Lets break this down, super-duty four-speed, aka 4l85E(4wd only), Autotrac(well thats a transfer case option so I'll go out on a limb and say 4wd only again) and the 17-in wheels.......sounding more and more like 4wd to me. It still looks like Vortec Max is 4wd and Performance Edition is 2wd. But I will say this, the 2006 GMC Sierra I looked at had Performance Edition listed as a option, but had the Vortec Max emblems on the side. Maybe thats where the confusion is.

OK... thats all fine and dandy... but by that logic you should be able to build a Crewcab 2wd with the "Performance Edition" option... but you can't. What I'm getting at:

IS THERE A WAY TO GET A LQ9 POWERED 2WD CREW CAB W/O 4WD???

OK... thats all fine and dandy... but by that logic you should be able to build a Crewcab 2wd with the "Performance Edition" option... but you can't. What I'm getting at:

Performance Edition has a note that says "5. 1500 Extended Cab Standard Box 2WD." so no, it's not available in Crew Cab. Heck I'm like most here, the dog gone brochure says one thing and the web site says something else. Looks like CC with a LQ9 is strickly 4WD Vortec Max only from the web site. In the brochure under Vortec Max it does mention the different axle ratio for the 2WD, but look down and next to Vortec Max in the Half-ton Crew Cab Short Box it says 4X4!!!! Oh the humanity.

Sorry, misread your question the first time.

Mr. P.

Sorry, misread your question the first time.

Mr. P.

No worries... its an odd question to have to ask... because you'd think it'd be a simple add-on option... but I guess not. :dunno:

(dumb question time) Have you gone to the Chevy dealer and asked if they can order you a truck with the options you want? :confused:

Archived