Converter is in

SSilverado60,

You write in your signature you're ordering the D1SC, which is basically same system as P1SC but more boost potential. What are you thinking of running with this truck pressure wise. I have been talking to Procharger and one of the reps has put a 6.0L kit with P1SC and says it runs strong with no problems with the higher compression. Just wanted your take on the situation. Since I will be doing the same soon. :cool:

Thanks

IM not worried about the compression of the motor hurting me at all. Im planning on between 8 and 10 PSI which should be perfect for this motor with good tuning. Yes it is the same system except the D1SC flows more air. I think this will help me because i may be able to move more air with less PSI. Also i got a good deal on it so thats why I got the bigger blower.

I also am going to be running bigger injectors and getting a custom tune done on it. That is the key to making the procharger system run right. Their kit is very user dependent. Its not like a radix where you can bolt it on and go. they come minus injectors and a tune so basically you can make whatever power level you desire. Im not going to get too crazy with it because of the 10:1 compression, but if i ever have to tear into the motor, im gonna put some low compression pistons in there and boost away :jester:

I am also planning on doing some headwork and a LS6 cam in the near future. this should allow me to run a little more boost as well because of how much better the engine will be breathing. Ill update when it is all done

i talked to a guy to day and he said that 2800 converter would be better for our trucks than a 3000. any one have some insight on this.

Depends on where you are creating your peak power curve. :chevy:

depends what you call better. gas mileage will be better and street driveability will be less effected by that converter, but at the track, the truck with the higher stall will make the other guy look bad.

a 2800 will feel tighter on the street but wont let you launch as hard and will drop the RPMs more between shifts than the 3000.

After driving this truck with the 3000, i would never think of doing anything less

• 2 weeks later...

torque converters are complicated and the stall should only be used as a guideline. ive got a 430 hp sbc in a 70 chevelle. its got a b&m holeshot 3000. it flashes to 4000 and stalls at about 3700 so the rating is way off. the same converter in a 540 bbc stalled at 5000 and consistantly slipped according to some mag article. there is no way to tell which will stall at what unless you call the manufacture and give them all the details of your motor(bore, stroke, cam specs etc.) and the trucks weight. you can also have a converter built for 2800 that is looser or tighter than any other converter that you are looking at. it all depends on how you want the converter to work with the motor while utilizing the rear gear ratio and rear tire size. all that said either would work for your truck. if you were talking a 2200 vs 3500 there would be something to argue about.

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

So i've been wanting to have the torque converter installed, but all the transmission places I call say they wont do it. They don't want to put the converter in especially since its for performance. Don't understand it :confused: Anyone in the Northern Cali area got the converter put in? If so where did you get it done.

thanks,

makani

So i've been wanting to have the torque converter installed, but all the transmission places I call say they wont do it. They don't want to put the converter in especially since its for performance. Don't understand it :confused: Anyone in the Northern Cali area got the converter put in? If so where did you get it done.

thanks,

makani

Any tranny shop should take care of this for you. It's no different than installing a stock converter. Well... until you lay into the gas. Here is info for some of the popular Yank converters that we carry -

YANK TRUCK THRUSTER 3000 (4.8, 5.3L only) (278 mm, 3000 stall, 2.21 STR, 98.6% efficiency!) This converter is a modified Truck Thruster 2600. Being so, it shares the stock-like appearance, super-high efficiency, and impressive towing capacity of its lower stall brother. This is the most aggressive converter for the Truck and SUV enthusiast who still wants to maintain their full factory towing capacity. You should expect your 0-60 and 1/4 mile times to drop .5 seconds!

YANK TRUCK THRUSTER 3200 (4.8, 5.3L only) (245mm, 3200 stall, 2.70 STR) This converter is for the truck and SUV "hot rodder". You should expect your 0-60 and 1/4 mile times to drop at least .5 seconds! The Truck Thruster 3200 will allow over 3,200 rpm stall, with only a 1,700 rpm drop between shifts. This converter has a maximum recommended towing capacity of 4,000 lbs. Should you need to tow more, please consider the Truck Thruster 2600/3000 or Truck Stealth 2400.

A higher stall converter is one of the best "bolt-on"mods that you can do. Gains are usually in the 3-5 tenth range. You guys really don't have to worry about traction to much so that is another benefit.

Tom

Any tranny shop should take care of this for you. It's no different than installing a stock converter. Well... until you lay into the gas. Here is info for some of the popular Yank converters that we carry

Thanks Tom, I emailed with you before, im just trying to find someone that will install it, ill check different areas. Don't know why the places I called won't do it, if its just like putting on a stock converter like you say, why are they so scared :confused:

Archived