Looking for a new engine!

KoreySS

My dads engine in his 2000 silverado is shot! Only 57,000 MI!! :banghead: He asked if I would do some research for him. Does any one know the best way to do this? Any part#'s I could start with? How much for a crate 4.3 L V-6? :dunno: Just trying to find the cheapest most reliable way for him! :thumbs: Any help @ all would be greatly appreciated!!! :ughdance:

Thanks guys!

P.S. The dealer he bought the truck from 6 years ago told him today that there were 2 4.3's? :confused: His was the more expensive of the 2?? :confused: Does anyone know anything about that? :confused: Sounds fishy to me! :dunno:

Korey

I bought a take-out engine about 3 years ago for a buddies S-10 Blazer...it was a 97. It was a killer deal $1100 with intake injectors, brackets, oil pan, etc. A re-man was $1400 and I got a new one cheaper. They come out of damaged new vehicles, like off of the assembly line, or wrecked on a test drive. They are guarenteed to have less than 50 miles. I got mine from Stricker Auto Parts but a junkyard near you may have a similar deal. It is probably the best/cheapest way to go vs a rebuild...hell the injector spider alone would have added another $300 if I would have had to buy one. Good luck. Later

Dave

Yes, there are two standard 4.3's. There is a W edition that has 180 horse I believe. Then there is a X edition that is 190 horse (this one was used in 4X4's.) However, there is also another High output edition that was used in S-10 SS's and some Extremes I believe. The main difference between the High Output and the X and W's is that the High Output has Central Port Injection where as the others have TBI. My suggestion, check www.S10forum.com There is a ton of information on there and you very well might find motors on their For Sale/Wanted section. :D

Yes, there are two standard 4.3's.  There is a W edition that has 180 horse I believe.  Then there is a X edition that is 190 horse (this one was used in 4X4's.)  However, there is also another High output edition that was used in S-10 SS's and some Extremes I believe.  The main difference between the High Output and the X and W's is that the High Output has Central Port Injection where as the others have TBI.  My suggestion, check www.S10forum.com  There is a ton of information on there and you very well might find motors on their For Sale/Wanted section.    :D

Are those letters you're posting in the vin or something? I know the 4.3's available in my S-10 SS were RPO LF6 for the 180 horse CPI, and L35 for the 190 horse CPI. 4x4 came with the L35 automatically when the V6 was ordered, but the L35 was a cost option above the LF6 on all V6 2wd's including the SS and Extreme versions.

BTW, this is the best online search engine for salvage yards I have EVER used to support my side business. http://www.car-part.com

Yes, the X and W's are in the VIN on the S-10's. I may be a little off with what I told you about each of the different engines because it's been a while since I've messed around with the S-10. Ever since I got the SS the s-10 has just been sitting there soaking up the rain! :tear: From what I can remember it should be pretty damn close though. I'm not sure if they changed any of the codes or anything after '96 either. Hope that helps.

Yes, the X and W's are in the VIN on the S-10's.  I may be a little off with what I told you about each of the different engines because it's been a while since I've messed around with the S-10.  Ever since I got the SS the s-10 has just been sitting there soaking up the rain!  :tear:  From what I can remember it should be pretty damn close though.  I'm not sure if they changed any of the codes or anything after '96 either.  Hope that helps.

Well, I know the RPO codes were the same LF6/L35 from my '96 S-10SS up to the 2003 Extreme I was looking at. :thumbs:

Archived