ethenol 85%

cerbomark

You can check this website: www.ethanol.org for the benefits and where it comes from, and answers to your questions.

Right now I believe the ethanol is quite a bit cheaper than just gasoline alone. But I was reading somewhere that the gas mileage isn't as good as gas alone.....only going by EPA ratings for a E85 and gasoline vehicle.

E85 is gaining popularity since it is cleaner burning, but it will be a few years until there are pumps everywhere, only a few locations have it for sale.

The website has a list of flex fuel vehicles. I believe the SS isn't one.

About 2000 GM started getting heavy into flex-fuel vehicles. I believe most of there vehicles are flex fuel now, so your truck should be compatible. Check first I cant remember exactly right now.

Thanks Brewz, He posted a great website with all the info... The SS is not able to use E85. But if enough others do maybe the gas prices will go down so we can enjoy the SS more. In NJ we do use the e10 blend and I notice less MPG when this fuel is used.

Thanks Brewz,  He posted a great website with all the info... The SS is not able to use E85. But if enough others do maybe the gas prices will go down so we can enjoy the SS more. In NJ we do use the e10 blend and I notice less MPG when this fuel is used.

No problem, a friend of mine was looking at a car just last week and the dealer mentioned "flexable fuel" so we did some research, so it was great timming. :thumbs:

Ethenol is a waste. It takes as much energy to produce as you get out of it. Sure it's renewable, but if they want to get really serious about clean air, then more money would be spent on fuel cell technology. The oil companies will do anything to get more money out of us. I live in Ohio and since we got rid of e-check I have been hearing that we will have to start using that blended crap. Oh boy 3mpg less THAT'S GOOD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT!

Dave

Ethenol is a waste. It takes as much energy to produce as you get out of it. Sure it's renewable, but if they want to get really serious about clean air, then more money would be spent on fuel cell technology. The oil companies will do anything to get more money out of us. I live in Ohio and since we got rid of e-check I have been hearing that we will have to start using that blended crap. Oh boy 3mpg less THAT'S GOOD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT!

Dave

Even if your right its still better for National Security and the Economy. I'd rather burn what we grow than buy it from the likes of Mexico, Iran, Saudi Arabia ect.. Also we are on the doorstep of being able to manufacture Ethanol from crop by products and grass ect.. when that happens it will really open things up.

Just think of the jobs that would be created if we all started burning E85. Heck mabey the family farm would have a better chance of making it.

Q: Does it take more energy to produce a gallon of ethanol than the energy we get out of it?

A: No. Research indicates an approximate 67% gain in the overall corn-to-ethanol process and use of that ethanol for fuel. Corn yields and processing technologies have improved significantly over the past 20 years and they continue to do so, making ethanol production less and less energy intensive. For a fact sheet on this issue, .CLICK HERE

Quoted from a CNN ARTICLE

"Refining: The cost of refining crude oil accounts for about 27 percent of the cost of a gallon of gas. Crude oil, or petroleum, must go through a refining process to turn it into useful products including gasoline. The stages of this process vary with the grade of gasoline or other kinds of products being created."

If you own a Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Avalanche, etc. and the 8th digit of your vin is a Z, you can run E-85. If you have an Impala or Monte Carlo, the 8th digit of your vin is a K, then you can run E-85. If you have an s-10, or sonoma, the 8th digit is a 5, you can run E-85.

The Engines have to be designed to run on E-85, or purchase a conversion kit for it. Mileage is reduced typically by 15-20%, while price is only a few dimes different. Also, power is not as strong as on Gasoline.

If you own a Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Avalanche, etc.  and the 8th digit of your vin is a Z, you can run E-85.  If you have an Impala or Monte Carlo, the 8th digit of your vin is a K, then you can run E-85.  If you have an s-10, or sonoma, the 8th digit is a 5, you can run E-85. 

The Engines have to be designed to run on E-85, or purchase a conversion kit for it.  Mileage is reduced typically by 15-20%, while price is only a few dimes different.  Also, power is not as strong as on Gasoline.

I didn't think my truck was down on power with E85? The power is much better after a software tune up. I ran E85 for over a year in my LS6 powered YUKON. After some tweaking it was much faster on E85 than gas. And while the price was cheaper for E85 offsetting that against the drop in miles per gallon made the out of pocket cost for E85 only slightly less than gas. But I didn't do it to say $$ I really like the home grown energy idea. And having a octane rating of 105 isn't a bad thing for performance either.

"After some tweaking it was much faster on E85 than gas. And while the price was cheaper for E85 offsetting that against the drop in miles per gallon made the out of pocket cost for E85 only slightly less than gas. But I didn't do it to say $$ I really like the home grown energy idea. And having a octane rating of 105 isn't a bad thing for performance either."

Sorry. I just read it straight out of the E85 journal here. My uncle owns the only gas station in the area that has e85. You are right. Most people aren't using it to save money, but to help the home grown effect. I agree with that idea 100%. I'm just reading here where stock for stock, horsepower is typically less on E85 than gas. Perhaps your tune would have been as fast with E85 as with gas?

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here. If my Impala were equipped to run it, I'd run it. I just think they have a little further to go with E85 before it is the fuel of choice.

Dave

Even if your right its still better for National Security and the Economy. I'd rather burn what we grow than buy it from the likes of Mexico, Iran, Saudi Arabia ect.. Also we are on the doorstep of being able to manufacture Ethanol from crop by products and grass ect.. when that happens it will really open things up.

Just think of the jobs that would be created if we all started burning E85. Heck mabey the family farm would have a better chance of making it.

Q: Does it take more energy to produce a gallon of ethanol than the energy we get out of it?

A: No. Research indicates an approximate 67% gain in the overall corn-to-ethanol process and use of that ethanol for fuel. Corn yields and processing technologies have improved significantly over the past 20 years and they continue to do so, making ethanol production less and less energy intensive. For a fact sheet on this issue, .CLICK HERE

Quoted from a CNN ARTICLE

"Refining: The cost of refining crude oil accounts for about 27 percent of the cost of a gallon of gas. Crude oil, or petroleum, must go through a refining process to turn it into useful products including gasoline. The stages of this process vary with the grade of gasoline or other kinds of products being created."

I'm not debating that we shouldn't use alternative energy. The article is some what deceptive...Ethanol has a low heat value of 76,000btu and a high heat value of 84,000 resource , and it is estimated it takes around 81,090btu to make it. There's a lot of stuff out there. We don't have engough farmland to make enough ethanol for our consumption. That is why I'm for the fuel cell technology. From what I understand it makes more efficent use of fossil fuels. The arguement could also be made as to the amount of energy we would save with the addition of more nuclear power plants. There's lots of stuff that can be done. I think we need a "Manhattan Project" for new ways to more effectively use our current energy. It can be done, just how bad do we want it? Later

Dave

Archived