Started putting my cam in

BlackySS13

So I finally got to start this today and managed to get along okay. Got all the disassemly done. I chose to take out the radiator. Now for the questions,

How much power steering fluid am I going to need to add?

Should I do an oil change?

What kind of coolant should I buy to refill the radiator and how much?

Also, what kind of a pulley puller did you use to get the crank pully off? I broke a 3 and a 4 incher, but they were cheap Harbor Freight. I am having a hell of a time with that.

Thanks for the help.

i forgot the brand of puller i used was, i know i borrowed it from work!! you shouldnt need power steering fluid, i dont think that need to come out. i just refilled mine with gm dex cool with water/watter wetter 50/50 mix

i use the tools J-41816 and J-41816-2 to pull the balancer. to install it i used J-41665-1 and J-41665-2. tis nice to work for a dealer. as for fluid, you'll want some water wetter, 2 gallons of dexcool, no power steering fluid, and do an oil change either right away or within 50 miles of the swap.

:banghead: I didn't have time to run out and get that one today, so I borrowed my father-in-laws, and his looked exactly like that one. It was a 3 incher, but somehow I bent the bolt.

I plan on going to NAPA tomorrow when they open and checking out what they got.

I also went to Lowes to get that longer bolt, but the longest they had was a 55.

I know pulley pullers are a pain in the ass, but I didn't think it would be this bad.

Also, I can't seem to keep the puller straight. It always get cock-eyed over to one side and then the bolt ends up at an angle on the other bolt.

Stick a bolt in there with a big head on it. One that will just slide in with having to screw it in. Let the center part of the puller rest on that head. It gives it something to push against.

Save yourself the hassle and go to Advance and get the one in that link. Made by Ampro. I've done it 4 times and used that one every time with no issue.

Not to sound like an ass but if you actually read the posts in this thread you would see that I said to put a socket over the end on the center all thread piece and it will not allow it to go into the crank bolt hole and will not fall off. If you put the pulley puller on there right it wont go to the side.

Not to sound like an ass but if you actually read the posts in this thread you would see that I said to put a socket over the end on the center all thread piece and it will not allow it to go into the crank bolt hole and will not fall off.  If you put the pulley puller on there right it wont go to the side.

I don't think anyone has disregarded what you said. Fact is, there is no sure fire way to keep it straight. No matter how you do it you have to go slow and hold the thing straight with your hands until it gets quite a few pounds of pressure on it. If you don't have the right puller, nothing will make a difference. He'll get it sooner or later.

Archived