rim...

ssfromsd

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i've done a lot of service calls where the people could not get the lugs off. i have a 1/2" impact gun on my wrecker with a 135 psi. compreassor and still could not break them free.. :banghead: had a call last week on a 05 2500 and had to use my 3/4 impact to get them off :crazy: the owner was in his mid 60's so i went around to redue the rest of his lugs, and all but 3 i needed the 3/4 on.

when you do get them off, put a very little dab of antiseaze compound on your threads, and then re tq. will make it SOOOO much easer next time :thumbs:

good luck......

:seeya:

• 2 weeks later...
Aftermarket rims wont let that tire iron go on. so im still screwed

use a standerd 1/2" deep wall socket 6pt. thin wall and a breaker bar. this is what i use on 99% of after market rims. oem tire irons are to thick and don't have enough off set to work. also some lug nuts can be standard or metric, so i have to carry 5/8-7/8 and 15mm-21mm in thin wall and from 3/4- 2 7/8 on impacts just so i know i can change any tire on a service call :banghead: ...TO MUCH CRAP TO CARRY.. :lol:

good luck

:seeya:

140 ft-lbs? I thought if you overtourqued these wheels it would possibly crack the rim? Maybe not but that was my impression.

I have never seen a rim that was on too tight. Maybe because I have a wrench that is half way to china. Leverage is your friend if that is the case!!!!

And about the aftermarket rims, yes most of them don't allow the tire iron to fit on. I found this out the hard way. Broke down on the highway close to a farm, walk into the yard and almost got bit by a nice big rottweiler. Thank goodness for the oil trailer that was sitting in the yard which had a ladder on the very end of it!!!

The factory spec on the SS 20's are 140 ft/lbs....all the GM"aftermarket" wheels require that. When i put mine on and had the dealer recalibrate my speedo they gave me a stack of papers out the torque specs...the "snubbers" on the LCA's and all kinds of things....I torque mine to 140 everytime i rotate..and never have a problem gettin them off....

• 8 months later...
140 ft lbs does seem like a lot,  a half inch stud should only need 90-100lbs. thats what i tourque my factory wheels to, no prolbems in 2 years.

they should be real tight on our trucks. 140 ft/lbs. that spec is based on the stud size. if you go looser, you could loose a wheel. as for cracking alloy's you would have a real garbage set of rims to be able to crack them before you broke a stud. I'de use a 1/2 inch breaker bar like mentioned earlier. static torque will break a siezed bolt easier than hammer (ie impact gun).

think about this. what would you use on a rod bolt for torque. most standard specs are 22ft/lbs for 4 cylinders. it is not because of the heavy load that is placed on this point. it deals with the size and strength of the bolt.

just get a manly impact gun and rip those lugs off....like my mac tool one has like 650ft lbs torque!!! but i know what your saying before i bought my impact my moms escalde had the same problem she got a flat and luckly it was at home so i could fix it. but man those lugs were on so tight i thought i was going to break my old impact. that gun had like 300lbs of torque and didnt move them. my uncle said something about the aftermarket wheels that they will contract with cold and make the lugs hard to take off. i just got got a blow torch heated them up for a second and then they came right off.....do not get the rims to hot or it will distort the color!!!!! it worked for me hompefully it will work for you too!

kyle

Archived