Cheapest mod

56chevywagon

Tried this last week, it is the 4" semi rigid dryer tubing, around $5. So far I can feel a difference in the mid range rpms, usually cruising at highway speeds and then jumping on the pedal. Gas mileage fluctuates alot more depending on how I drive, it stays between 13 and 16 mpg. I may just put the stock tube back on, I don't know if it is enough to keep it on. Oh, and It looks kinda sh*tty.

33134699.jpg33134676.jpg

That would work better with electric fans. I bought some of that a few years ago for use on my 99 Z71. I found that it can leak air around the seams.

If you did electric fans, you can just use a 90 degree ebow of PVC from the hardware store. I ran that setup for a year and it worked great (and was cheap). I used LT1 Camaro fans that cost me a little over $125 and the intake parts were a little over $60 (with K&N filter). So for less than the price of a K&N FIPK kit, I was running a better intake and had the benefits of electric fans.

I would be a bit concerned about the sharp bend it makes before the intake. I seem to recall the stock tube flattens out to compensate for the reduced height as it makes the turn. Also the stock tube is smooth inside, and your duct has hundreds of ridges aligned against the air-flow. Probably not a big issue on the straight sections, but at the turn to the intake, it may be an issue.

The other concern would be the contact with the fan shroud. This may wear through the duct, allowing unfiltered air to enter the engine. If it is the kind of tube I am thinking of, it is fairly durable, but you would be amazed what a bit of dust and some rubbing can do to a piece of aluminum :eek: .

I would be a bit concerned about the sharp bend it makes before the intake. I seem to recall the stock tube flattens out to compensate for the reduced height as it makes the turn. Also the stock tube is smooth inside, and your duct has hundreds of ridges aligned against the air-flow. Probably not a big issue on the straight sections, but at the turn to the intake, it may be an issue.

The other concern would be the contact with the fan shroud. This may wear through the duct, allowing unfiltered air to enter the engine. If it is the kind of tube I am thinking of, it is fairly durable, but you would be amazed what a bit of dust and some rubbing can do to a piece of aluminum :eek: .

I have the same concerns, that is why I have not decided whether or not to keep it on for the time being. As far as the bend, This tube opens it alot more thatn the stock tube and even being rough on the inside bend, there is enough extra room inside to compensate, plus it may help with fuel atomization, any kind of turbulance, as long as it is not restricting, is good for fuel burn. This is the same technology as the Tornado and Throttle Body Spacers. I know it will not have the full effect as the afore mentioned items, but it can't hurt. The tube contacting the fan shroud is my main concern, plus possible leaking at the seams. I will probably run it for a short time and then swap it back to original. Just an experiment. :)

I spent the weekend copying the Volant intake system (except for that appendage that hangs down between the air box and engine). Someone else did this too. I don't remember who it was but they gave me the idea. Thanks, by the way. :thumbs:

Anyway, went to Home D, got some A/C vent flex tubing and a 3 inch PVC drain fitting with neck. I then took the stock air box out, drilled a 3 1/4 inch hole in the bottom. bolted and liquid nailed the PVC drain into the opening (after the grate was cut out of the face). Spray painted the tubing black and attached it to the underside of the drain fitting and ran the flex tubing down and attached to the right "air duct" in the bumper of SS. Final step, put all back together and added K&N filter and voilà a $450 Volant intake for about $10 bucks.

I know this sounds nuts and I'm sure, in part, it's my imagination but it really does feel like it pulls a little harder under moderate throttle. Definately love the sound it makes getting all that extra air.

I spent the weekend copying the Volant intake system (except for that appendage that hangs down between the air box and engine). Someone else did this too.  I don't remember who it was but they gave me the idea. Thanks, by the way.  :thumbs:

Anyway, went to Home D, got some A/C vent flex tubing and a 3 inch PVC drain fitting with neck. I then took the stock air box out, drilled a 3 1/4 inch hole in the bottom. bolted and liquid nailed the PVC drain into the opening (after the grate was cut out of the face). Spray painted the tubing black and attached it to the underside of the drain fitting and ran the flex tubing down and attached to the right "air duct" in the bumper of SS. Final step, put all back together and added K&N filter and voilà a $450 Volant intake for about $10 bucks.

I know this sounds nuts and I'm sure, in part, it's my imagination but it really does feel like it pulls a little harder under moderate throttle. Definately love the sound it makes getting all that extra air.

Lee, I think it's cool. Necessity is the mother of invention. I have been toying with the thought of getting some Black PVC to remove the bend now that I have the E-fans.

You know the rules, no posting without pictures.

Yeah, I know, Richard. I goofed. Did not think about it until I was all done. To do it now wouldn't show anything as it looks stock from the top. Sorry.

Brent,

Go for it, buddy. :thumbs: I don't know about you but I LOVE doing stuff like that. Especially if it saves me some major coin.......................which I might just put into an s=chgr You never know. :D

Well, I removed Will Robinsons B-9 robot's arm. It seemed to have lost any gains after first installing it. The only thing I could think of is that the computer relearned the airflow and readjusted. I don't know, but I'm back to stock. No more redneck improvising... :D

Well, I removed Will Robinsons B-9 robot's arm. It seemed to have lost any gains after first installing it. The only thing I could think of is that the computer relearned the airflow and readjusted. I don't know, but I'm back to stock. No more redneck improvising... :D

You sure you didn't just get accustomed to whatever gains you did get?

Archived