Airiad CAI problem

Holty

here's another shot of the filter.

you can see the rest of the engine bay is very dirty as well.  i just cleaned it about 3 weeks ago.

Anyone know of a shield I can buy to cover the top part of the filter for when it rains? With the ram air hood I'm getting water. When I took the intake hose off the plastic nutsack had 6-8 ounces of water in it. The hood is dumping the water straight down onto the filter and it's getting sucked in. Maybe I can drill holes in the underside rear of the ram air duct? Ideas?

Dave

Dosen't the lid kind of defeat the "Ram Air" effect of the hood? I called Suncoast and they said there are supposed to be 3 holes drilled in the duct...they're sending me some pics so I can modify it. The Volant looks ok, but I figured why wast the money on a kit that has a air tube when I'm putting a Radix on. Also I paid about $50 including shipping and it's perfect.Gotta love e-bay! If I didn't have the ram air hood then I wouldn't have the problem, but hopefully it'll be ok soon.

Dave

I had the very same spot on my 99 Silverado, with the Airaid kit. A lot of air travels between the gap of the hood and the headlight, directly into the filter. I rotated the filter occasionally and cleaned it a 50,000 miles.

who?

if you look at the front left headlight assembly you can see a gap of which air could find its way through.... w/ the rubber "boot" that surrouns the filter and it being a open element, (unlike the volant) the filter is more exposed to the outside air.... i myself have this and a 4 inch "stain" at the bottom of mine due to the home made ram air........ if you look at the heat shield under the hood you can see this take place by the salt water stains from driving at speed on the interstate during the winter...... i myself clean my filter about every 5,000 miles w/ a k@n kit, but the stains will remain to some point.....good luck.........

Like a couple of other guys mentioned, my K&N did the same thing. I would just rotate it about 180* around half way between cleanings. I haven't had my Volant on long enough to check it out, but now that spring is coming, and I have a digital camera (that I still haven't read the directions on how to use :banghead: ), I'll check it out and take some pics if it's worth it.

Archived