Any Experience with this 402?

6.0ss

here is the link.

I want to go Bigger, And I forsure want to make the low 12's when I do it!

Will this engine get me there with zipp tuning it up?

I know I have to get bigger injectors, rebuilt tranny, vig TC, Longtube headers etc. but I want to get my truck moving again!!!!

SLP 402 page

Joe

In order to pop off low 12s with that motor in your truck, you're going to need a nice set of heads (AFR) with a 12.8+:1 compression, and a very aggressive cam/stall. It might be a little too much for daily driving. Maybe something a little less mild, in the 400-450rwhp range with a shot of nitrous, since the motor can take it.

Or just do the BPU's and a nice stall with 150shot.

I think that much power in this truck would be slighty scary. It's already sloppy as it is, but I'm 2wd :dunno: .

here is the link.

I want to go Bigger, And I forsure want to make the low 12's when I do it! 

Will this engine get me there with zipp tuning it up? 

I know I have to get bigger injectors, rebuilt tranny, vig TC, Longtube headers etc. but I want to get my truck moving again!!!!

SLP 402 page

Joe

i often thought about this direction... along with nitrous & a turbo,,,, :dunno: hop to it :crackup:

No, I had a promotion at work, and the pay increase was just the same as my truck payment, SO I am capable of keeping the truck as I purchase my townhome next month. What half blows about the situation is I sold all my mods off the truck, and It is completely stock except the stereo :cry: ! So I need to start on the path of making it faster again!!! :ughdance:

Just re-stating what I said. Bang for your buck you can't beat the deal SLP offers with a virgin block and all new high quality parts assembled by a shop that is allready set and building gen 3 engines to great standards.

The only other option I would do if I was you was to go with a Wheel 2 Wheel prepped short block. Although the cost is more. They are the most respected engine builders IMO.

The 408 is still an option but the way I look at it you can build an SLP engine on the stand with a good set of heads AFR ligenfelter or Dart. They all make fantastic heads for the money. AFR starts with a gm style gen3 casting the dart is a heavier design and is not the actual GM spec. Ligenfelter is now getting their cast from edelbrock. No matter what way you go you can build the engine on the stand and get everything there prepped and ready to rock to do the swap in a shorter amount of time. Rather than having your truck sitting with no engine while the machine shop does work to your block.

I would rather drive the truck and enjoy it while the new beast is assembled. Plus it allows you to also take your time gathering parts if need be.

Trust me.. I have one of my trucks hiding in storage and I miss driving it even if it did just have the smaller turbo the truck was still a blast to drive.

I saw a couple of guys on Tech had some problems with SLP's 402 assembly. He pulled the heads and a shitload of ring lands were broken off. When I was searching around it didnt look like an isolated incident, because I remember reading about it more than once from 3 or 4 different posters.

I agree with the issue about SLP's quality. I have heard that they have made some changes since then, but not sure what they are doing different. Certainly the Wheel 2 Wheel and Scoggin Dickey engines have had a better reputation. I believe that whatever problems SLP is having either have been fixed by now or will be shortly as they hold high to their reputation and wouldn't allow cheap parts to ruin that.

I agree with the issue about SLP's quality. I have heard that they have made some changes since then, but not sure what they are doing different. Certainly the Wheel 2 Wheel and Scoggin Dickey engines have had a better reputation. I believe that whatever problems SLP is having either have been fixed by now or will be shortly as they hold high to their reputation and wouldn't allow cheap parts to ruin that.

Id definitely go with W2W or SD before I spent on SLP's rotating assembly!!

Thank for the info guys.  why not just go 427 if I am spending the money on this kind of build up?

Joe

Going with the big bore gen III/IV block is very expensive and going with more than the 4" stroke doesn't show to be a worthy gain for the trouble/expense.

Archived