cam install

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You don't need to pull anything to put in a new bolt.

If the motor is in the truck and you are still running a clutch fan like me you do.

No, it's attached to the waterpump. I have the same motor you have. The fan can stay where it is. Nothing in the way of the crank bolt.

How do you rotate it 140*s with the fan shroud in the way :nono:

Tightening it from the bottom would require reomving the air deflector thing and also jacking the truck up. Like I said I am lazy and thus far I have had good luck along with my buddy and MANY other people. Not that big a deal guys just was throwing out the option that you dont HAVE to get a new one. Not that big a deal to each their own. Ill be putting a new one in on the engien stand when I rebuild my motor. Im through arguing over a damn crank bolt. :flag:

How do you rotate it 140*s with the fan shroud in the way :nono:

Tightening it from the bottom would require reomving the air deflector thing and also jacking the truck up.  Like I said I am lazy and thus far I have had good luck along with my buddy and MANY other people.  Not that big a deal guys just was throwing out the option that you dont HAVE to get a new one.  Not that big a deal to each their own.  Ill be putting a new one in on the engien stand when I rebuild my motor.  Im through arguing over a damn crank bolt. :flag:

stand on your head and rotate that should get 140* :P , yep its cool that it worked for you and not saying you cant do it. But after the research and etc i sure wouldnt do it and i didnt. and like said no clutch fan here and cant have one anyways. no provision on the water pump for a fan

I did forget about the fan shroud, I haven't had one in so long. Hard for me to believe you can spend all that dough on a motor and not have one of the most common mods out there that is usually done in an early stage - electric fans.

Haha had to respond to this one. Yep I have the good ole clutch fan on there but I do ahve an UD pulley :lol: E-fans was one of my next mods but it came time for the 418 early and spent the money elsewhere. Eventually I will have efans but Im in no hurry the clutch fan does its job for now.

I dont care what any one says. the torque to yield crank bolt needs to be replaced with either a stock bolt or the arp crank bolt which is resuable.

I have reused the crank bolt twice.

first time it kept coming loose and the crank pully slipping the bolt had some lock tite on it. I pulled it out and put alot of lock tite on it.

2nd time it came out and the crank pully came off too. kinda scary doing 75 going down the interstate and loose power steering and the temps jump up to 250, luckly the bolt and pully fell where the plastic plate is in the front. I limped it back to where i started and went by the dealer and got a crank bolt and didn't have a bit of problem untill it pulled the motor. Thats my 2 cents

Haha had to respond to this one.  Yep I have the good ole clutch fan on there but I do ahve an UD pulley :lol: E-fans was one of my next mods but it came time for the 418 early and spent the money elsewhere.  Eventually I will have efans but Im in no hurry the clutch fan does its job for now.

what dont have 50 bucks for a set of LS1 fans?

• 2 weeks later...
I dont care what any one says.  the torque to yield crank bolt needs to be replaced with either a stock bolt or the arp crank bolt which is resuable. 

:withstupid:

I can't believe anyone would skimp on something this cheap, that any reputable vendor or site says is a necessary part. What's a new stock one, like $5? $10?

Order the Scoggin Dickey cam swap gasket kit and a new stock crank bolt is included. ;)

Archived