Passenger Mirror Glass cracked....

Ron's SS

The passenger mirror was fine on my drive in to work this morning. When leaving I noticed a distortion or line in the mirror. Got home and you can see/ feel the crack in the glass :banghead: It is just like a stress crack in a windshield, no real cause (I work out of a residence so no one interferes with my truck during the day

), just there all of a sudden...

Has anyone had this happen? Does anyone know what I am looking at here to get er fixed? Can I do just the glass or is the whole mirror one piece? I sure hope I can do just the glass cause I know what these things cost. Any information would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

whoo hoo i dont feel so bad any more mine has been that way for about a month now...at first i thought it was just dirty ... then i really looked at i... and i was pissed...it almost looks like it cracked for the inside...just so you know its not cheap...i got the dealer price on it and its was like 280 cost

If you go to an auto glass place they might be able to replace just the mirror.  My brother just had this done on his GF's 98' Buick Regal. I think they charged him $35.

So I guess my next question would be, what about the turn signal? Can a standard glass shop address this or am I stuck with $200+, this sucks :( ... but worse could happen (like owning a Dodge, j/k)

Get just the glass. Mine did the same. A complete one was pretty expensive and they didn't want to do because they tried to say that I did it. When they found out they could just do the glass they went ahead and did it. They didn't like my truck much with the previous fights I had with them because of my supercharger - so maybe not the typical, "it's your fault" scenario.

Oh....I want to jump in on this one....

I will look for the old thread that I posted on....I took pictures to illustrate how the new one comes...

I own a glass shop, and you can DEFINATELY get just the mirror....and you can get it with the heated pad and the led signal....

Go to a local shop, and ask if they carry BURCO brand mirrors....they are guaranteed to fit, are made in the USA, and they supply many OE manufacturers with their mirrors....

If I get some time later this afternoon, I will get you the Burco #, as well as a ballpark price on what the glass shop has in it!

Rob

EDIT: THIS POST IS FOR THE PASSENGER SIDE MIRROR!!!

UPDATE!!!

I just talked to my supplier...and the mirror comes 2 ways....

1. Mirror - Convex (with heated pad behind and spots for the LED's)

Burco Mirror #3254HA

2. Mirror - Convex - WITH Plastic Backer Plate (with heated pad behind and spots for the LED's)

Burco Mirror #3254HSA

My COST for these two parts:

3254HA - $60.00

3254HSA - :eek: $155.00 (the only difference is the plastic plate....the lady as the distributor asked me if I was sitting down....)

Here is a picture of what the mirror would look like if you got the glass/heater only (this mirror is one I have in stock - but does not have the LED holes)

0a616a97.jpg

MVC-020F.jpg

The mirror adheres to the backer plate by a large double sided foam tape (which is the size of the entire mirror....the Burco mirror comes with new smaller pads for installation...and work really great. The only problem with installing using the foam, is that you have one chance to get it in the proper place...once the mirror hits the foam tape, that is where is will stay!)

Again, if you have any questions, please feel free to let me know!

Rob

I got the new mirror for about $125 and replaced it myself....$280  :banghead:  someone is getting screwed.

well $125 sounds better. did you get the mirror from a dealer? how was it to change; I've never done it... yet

Yeah, I got it from the dealer. The glass piece should just pop out (work it loose going around the perimeter) and then you simply unclip the connections and replace it with the new piece.

EDIT: THIS POST IS FOR THE DRIVER'S SIDE MIRROR

I got the new mirror for about $125 and replaced it myself....$280  :banghead:  someone is getting screwed.

Does anyone have any part #s for the glass only with the turn signal. Believe it or not both of mine are cracked :banghead:

Sorry, I just noticed your post.....

Here is the problem with the drivers side mirror.....it is electrochromatic...

You can do 2 things....

1. Just put a new mirror over top of what you have...the LED's can still show through, the heat will work (just not as good), and you will loose the self dimming (electrochromatic). The part number you need for this mirror is Burco Mirror # 4015S

2. Replace the mirror with a new backer plate/mirror assembly (I will try and call later when I place an order to get a cost on this....but it will be costly). The new plate will come complete with a new mirror, heater, electrochromatic gel, clear cover....basically all you would have to do is unsnap the old plate, disconnect the 2 wires, and put the new one in. The advantage to this is getting the self dim feature back, but of course it comes with a price. The Burco Mirror part number for this is #2780HSEA.

I guess you have a third option...go through GM, but make sure you bring the lube with you! :jester:

Rob

EDIT: THIS POST IS FOR THE DRIVER'S SIDE MIRROR

This is the last time....

In the last post I made, the first mirror number should have been #4017S, NOT 4015S...

Secondly, here is my COST on both of the parts....

4017S - $19.00

2780HSEA - (you might want to make sure you are sitting for this one...)

I got prices off of 2 different distributors.....the first one was $427.45 and he had to special order it, the second was $310.00 and they had it in stock.

Again, if you need anything, I will be around!!!

Rob

This is the last time....

In the last post I made, the first mirror number should have been #4017S, NOT 4015S...

Secondly, here is my COST on both of the parts....

4017S - $19.00

2780HSEA - (you might want to make sure you are sitting for this one...)

I got prices off of 2 different distributors.....the first one was $427.45 and he had to special order it, the second was $310.00 and they had it in stock. 

Again, if you need anything, I will be around!!!

Rob

So now I am starting to get confused. The electro (maintain the auto dimming) is the part #2780HSEA, right? I think I want to maintain this feature, but depends on the extreme cost. So how about these?

1. Mirror - Convex (with heated pad behind and spots for the LED's)

Burco Mirror #3254HA

2. Mirror - Convex - WITH Plastic Backer Plate (with heated pad behind and spots for the LED's)

Burco Mirror #3254HSA

What is the plastic backer plate we are talking about? I am assuming I can just get the glass, right?

Are they everything I need, except the electro b.s. needed for the self dimming? I thank you for all the input, I really don't want to shell out $300+ for a freaking piece of glass...

Archived