Ram Air Question.

vdrumright

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bill,

As a matter of fact, the K&N was late getting here so I ran the stock filter for three days (after mods) before UPS was kind enough to finally bring the new one. It really does seem to be more responsive with the additional air the K&N and direct cold air intake allows into the engine but like I mentioned in another thread, I don't know if it's my imagination for if the truck is really responding better.

In a word without trying to second guess this too much. Yes, I see a difference, Bill.

Yup, lot's of HOT air surrounding and coming out of Lee…

I'm going to take the high road and ignore you two this morning. Rare, I know. Please make a note of the date and time. ;)

As a matter of fact, the K&N was late getting here so I ran the stock filter for three days (after mods) before UPS was kind enough to finally bring the new one. It really does seem to be more responsive with the additional air the K&N and direct cold air intake allows into the engine but like I mentioned in another thread, I don't know if it's my imagination for if the truck is really responding better.

Thanks, I think I'm going to tackle this as my next "project". I've been thinking about trying that black corregated tubing they use for drain fields. It's plastic and semi-rigid (I think it comes in 4" & 6" diam.), anyone have thoughts on this, yea/nea?

• 1 month later...

I know there have been several versions of this thread. I chose to post in this one to complement the useful information inside... :D

I finally got pics of my homemade ram air setup. I used some 6" flexible metal ducting I had laying around. I cut a big hole in the bottom of the airbox and the mounting plate and ran the duct to the brake vent. The 6" duct fit almost perfectly on the back of the brake vent. Here's a front view.

sss110203%20001a.jpg

The finished installation is attached and covered with black 100mph tape. I had to move the horn a bit and then flatten the duct to fit it between the wheelwell and body. Underneath inside view.

sss110203%20002a.jpg

From the top view, you can see down into the duct.

sss110203%20005a.jpg

Soda can shown inside the duct for reference.

sss110203%20006a.jpg

I have just started using EFILive and can confirm that the intake air temp. is only a few degrees above ambient with this setup. I was getting IAT's of 68*F the other day when it was 65 outside. This is after driving around a bit to cool the engine and intake down. The heat soak effect is quite noticable - IAT's rise quickly when little or no air is flowing (parked idling or stop-and-go traffic).

I recommend this mod for cooler intake air and less restriction. :thumbs:

:cheers:

Archived