My XM Radio is Broken

BlkStSS

I read some review between XM and Sirius about three months ago and the reviewer highly recommended XM as the sound quality was more "CD like." I don't remember the other comments as I already had my XM so was not about to rip it out of the truck anyway. I wish now I could remember more for you. Sorry.

I think that comparing them is a little tough. It really depends on the genre.

Sirius vs. XM

Technically, Sirius's background is higher tech. They use 3 sat's compared to XM's 2. This gives you a better approach angle for the antenna. You will have less drop outs during excursions next to hi-rise buildings, semi's, and tall trees. XM combates their poor signal quality with multiple repeaters. This to me sucks, I bought Sat radio for just that, Sat, not repeaters. Sirius's also has channel bandwidth modulation so a talk channel will give up bandwidth to say, a Jazz channel that needs it to reproduce better. XM, is bandwidth fixed :(

This allows Sirius to upgrade their sound w/ just new versions of Software. And it has gotten better over the year I have had it.

Listen to both online to find out who's line up you like better, but don't listen to quality, it sounds better in the car.

And I do find it subjective, I think Sirius sounds better, but thats just my .02 from someone thats has both. :P

What I have NOT been at all pleased with is the talking between songs on XM. I have DIrecTV and they have 100 or so music channels, too. No talking and no commercials. I knew before hand that XM had "a few commercials" to keep the months fees low. I could live with that. Sadly, that is not what they are doing.

Sirius has complete commercial and talk free music albeit as a slightly higher monthly price. Right at the moment if the switch was easy I'd give Sirius a try. I am NOT willing to continue paying a monthly fee to listen to DJ chatter between songs. I can listen to that for free.

All that said, I'm not willing to trash a good radio and spend more $$ to put in another one so, unfortunately, for now at least, I'm going to stick with XM. We'll see how things shake out in the future. Hopefully enough folks will complain about the non-commercial talking between songs and XM will stop it!!!!!

Bumping this up with a new status. I picked up my truck on Friday afternoon. They had not been able to fix the XM Radio by replacing the antenna, so now they are replacing an XM module, of course it has to be ordered, so they gave me back the truck. :cry:

When I picked it up, I checked for scratches on the roof, and I checked to see that the interior was properly put back together. The roof was fine, but the interior of the passenger side pillar was falling off :fume: ! I complained to the service manger, and told him I would not take the truck in that condition. He tried to tell me that they would just have to take it apart next week, I told him that it was unsafe, I would not accept driving with a rattle for a week. He got the piece attached but still jury rigged, and is making certain the clips that are needed to fix it.

So for those of you who work in dealerships, are the XM radios giving problems, and why won’t the dealer order all the parts needed to fix the system, and properly put the truck back together?

Just a note, before it went bad the XM radio would work almost anyplace, in the garage even! (As someone else posted.) So I know and the dealership knows that it has broken, and is not just reception problems.

Archived