New Combo

zippy

Last week we finished up some work on a VHO and came up with some very impressive results. Initially the project began as just a cam swap, but through some chatting the idea of new cylinder heads came about. Using my preferred LQ9 cam (the comp XER273HR) and a set of Dart 225's we picked up almost 9mph in the trap speed with only a couple changes to the tuning. After the injector swap is done there will probably be another couple mph gain since the injector duty cycle goes to over 100% at 5400rpm. I will certainly hold to the results in saying that they were outstanding and even better than expected. The truck still has enough torque to light the tires of on an off idle hit even though it still has the stock torque converter. The gas milage was up around 20mpg on the trip. This would certainly be a highly recomended and fairly inexpensive for the power increase modification.

Last week we finished up some work on a VHO and came up with some very impressive results. Initially the project began as just a cam swap, but through some chatting the idea of new cylinder heads came about. Using my preferred LQ9 cam (the comp XER273HR) and a set of Dart 225's we picked up almost 9mph in the trap speed with only a couple changes to the tuning. After the injector swap is done there will probably be another couple mph gain since the injector duty cycle goes to over 100% at 5400rpm. I will certainly hold to the results in saying that they were outstanding and even better than expected. The truck still has enough torque to light the tires of on an off idle hit even though it still has the stock torque converter. The gas milage was up around 20mpg on the trip. This would certainly be a highly recomended and fairly inexpensive for the power increase modification.

Otherwise stock?

• 4 months later...
This would certainly be a highly recomended and fairly inexpensive for the power increase modification.

But what about gains w/o heads or headers, does it shift the power band up? or is it all over deal? For a daily driver? Will it like my TBTC? I am cam shopping now :cheers:

interesting , how much did you pick up the heads for?

:withstupid:

what about ported stock heads?

Chime in with cam input please

The cam is the same as Novanet, Revolutionary, and Vanilla Gorilla is using. It still has enough torque everywhere once you get it tuned it to do everything that the stock cam could do from what I found. The Darts on this truck are as cast at this point. We wanted to try this as a bolt on and go kind of deal. It's making damn good power so far and has excellent drivability.

• 2 weeks later...

XER273HR - 224/230 - .581/.588 w 1.7 rocker - 114 LSA

I noticed the thread started with "just a cam swap" and wondered about the TC? Does he have a higher stall converter, that cam seems a tad big for a stock stall?

XER273HR - 224/230 - .581/.588 w 1.7 rocker - 114 LSA

I noticed the thread started with "just a cam swap" and wondered about the TC? Does he have a higher stall converter, that cam seems a tad big for a stock stall?

The stock truck doesn't have enough stall in the converter! But, rough and dirty the numbers on that cam work out to only -1 degrees of overlap. That cam is actually kinda tame, definitely blower friendly if not actually turbo friendly. I'm sure it would drive ok on the factory converter but the TBTC is probably just perfect for it.

Archived