04 Titan vs 06 SS

Mike Jones

Any of you guys notice a difference running 87 octane instead of 91? I've only had my truck for like 6 weeks and the dealer filled up my tank w/ 87 ... for bringing back GM's dealer quality survey or whatever it was with good marks.... It doesnt detonate on 87...I cant see it making a difference, but I guess these trucks have knock sensors and if it was detonating It would pull timing before I even heard it?

BINGO!! We have determined the problem.

Yes.. you can run the truck on 87 but it goes to a lower octane table... I say you get that 87 out of the tank and race him again once you've got some 91 in there... with the compression of these being so high its a must you run 91 or better to be competitive on the street.

I'd also venture to guess you're a California guy if you're talking 91 octane instead of 93. :thumbs:

Does it really... I had kinda HEARD of that, but when I railed on it, I didnt hear any detonating so I didnt sweat it.

But Im acutally in Vegas...but close enough to California, so we get their gas :D

Well I'll put better fuel in it before I see him again and see what happens.

Didnt mean to come off like a Troll fellas, I had "WTF" scrolling across my face when his truck went by me just as much as some of you when reading my post :cool:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if that doesent fix it i recommend you have your truck looked at immediately, also just because you dont hear detonatinon does not mean its not there, get your self an aeroforce scangauge and it will show kr so you know if your having issues1!

if that doesent fix it i recommend you have your truck looked at immediately, also just because you dont hear detonatinon does not mean its not there, get your self an aeroforce scangauge and it will show kr so you know if your having issues1!

Where can I get the scanguage at? Your truck looks sick BTW :thumbs:

Well if you were using 87, it probably doesnt affect TOO much performance through 1st and 2nd gear. When it shifts into 3rd gear, the detonation was probably happening a lot and the computer was pulling timing like crazy. When I had my turbo Eclipse, if I was running pump gas (91) and boosting anything over 17PSI, I would actually loose a lot of power when I got into 3rd gear, and the tuning software i was using showed the ECU pulling craploads of timing. If the ECU is programmed for 91+ octane, you loose a LOT of power if you arent running the right gas. On the dyno my Eclipse put out 356HP to the wheels on 91 @ 17PSI. I turned it up to 21PSI and I put out 351HP. That shows a little. Of course when I put in 108 and ran at 26PSI, I was putting out 411HP/489ft-lbs :cool:

Any of you guys notice a difference running 87 octane instead of 91? I've only had my truck for like 6 weeks and the dealer filled up my tank w/ 87 ... for bringing back GM's dealer quality survey or whatever it was with good marks.... It doesnt detonate on 87...I cant see it making a difference, but I guess these trucks have knock sensors and if it was detonating It would pull timing before I even heard it?

BINGO!! We have determined the problem.

Yes.. you can run the truck on 87 but it goes to a lower octane table... I say you get that 87 out of the tank and race him again once you've got some 91 in there... with the compression of these being so high its a must you run 91 or better to be competitive on the street.

I'd also venture to guess you're a California guy if you're talking 91 octane instead of 93. :thumbs:

Doesn't this revert back to the "91 only" topics on the site. I thought it was premium or nothing else. The manual states you can run lower octane but yeild the chance of detonation= bad things... I would bitch at the dealer for putting cheap gas in my $40K truck for sure...

Just recently I raced I titan and I let him gun it 1st and I easily cought him and flew by him no problem. Im AWD though. Running on 91 (stupid california) Titans are no problem.

Yeah, I've never raced one but from what I've seen of them and what other people have said, they're nothing to worry about.

Either he has mods or something is messed up on your truck.

haha Dude, theres nothing wrong with my truck...its bone ass stock and runs fine. Wont be stock for too long but it is what it is for now... Its pulled away from Hemi's and plenty of 5.3 Chevy's...it pulled away from the Titan I just couldnt hold him off above 95mph...maybe it was the gas, It has 91 in it now so we'll find out sooner than later. I know for a fact his Titan is bone stock...

The whole point of my original post was to find out if Chevy pulls timing at a particular MPH or RPM etc etc....Just seems like my truck falls on its face once it shifts into 3rd gear. My mustang had a set up in the computer called tip-in retard, when you would shift hard(powershift) it would retard 5 or 6* of timing into the next gear to save the tranny...you could tune that out so I was wondering if GM had something similar....

I had a 409rwhp/537rwtq 95 Cobra for 3 years that I used as a daily driver, If you've ever tried to keep a 400rwhp 5.0 running daily you'd know what Im gettin at :jester: ...Im not mechanically inept and would have a pretty good idea if my car/truck/bike/lawnmower was running like shit.

My old Titan had 10" of lift and 35" tires... Ran 16.2@85mph at 2000ft With a Volant intake and a flowmaster... It was a 4 door. Pretty good for a full size truck on 35's...Never ran it stock height.

Not defending Nissan but those trucks run alright... so as far as a 91 POS Honda giving one a hard time... I hope your kidding cause my bullshit flag is up... I have a 92 Honda Accord EX with a 5 speed for a hoopty and it aint got shit on a Titan, SS or even a school bus for that matter.

I'll post up what happens when I run into him later this week :thumbs:

Archived