SSS, the practical Corvette

detjoe

I just changed the oil in my SSS and was wondering if we could put together a thread of the parts that fit both? As I changed the oil I noticed that it has the same filter. I also read that the oil filler cap from a vette would fit the sss filler. :chevy: I like to be able to point out the similarites to my grease monkey friends.

With my impala SS I have a good idea about the similarties between the LT1 and its Corvette brother, I would just like to have the same for the newer generation chevy motors (LS1, LS6, LQ6,...) :confused: what do the numbers mean?

There is nothing better than (to me) being able to have great information about my powerplant-and its hi-po orgins, and the look of awe when you can say your truck is the working man's (woman's) corvette. thanks

joe

:thumbs:

the oil cap for the vette has the mobil 1 symbol which is a popular sell. the sss on the other hand is far from a vette. a few transmission parts are the same and very little on the engine is. the pushrods and rocker arms are along with a few other misc. parts, but not much. most parts will interchange, but are not the same as they came from the factory.

thanks zippy, but what about with the caddy truck? I saw a boat in truck'n with caddy power plants and thaey were called LQ9's if I remember correctly? Then the caddy engine cover would fit? But are the SSS just de-baged cadillacs? Or do our SSS have more power? I would probably feel like a snob pulling up on a job with a cadillac truck :P

I do plan on getting the vette oil cap when I change over to syn, but where do I get it? part number? Thanks again-having a SSS is cool, but having access to fellow SSS owners is Great :chevy:

Actually, lots of the engine parts are near identical to the vette. Disregard the iron block with 4" bore and matched pistons. Well, both have flat top hypereutectic pistons. Cranks are virtually the same (just weighted differently), rods are the same, bearings, bolts. Heads are slightly different to work on the larger bore of the SS, but completely interchangeble. Stock valves, springs, locks, retainers are the exact same (not with the Z06 version). Cams are a very slightly different grind, but completely swappable. Cam, crank and oil level sensors are the same parts. The motors do have different oil pans. Crank pulleys with accessory belt routing are different. Overall, most parts would swap between engines and either engine would work fine in either vehicle, although the vette may groan at the extra 90 pounds the iron block adds to its front end.

Now the transmission is the thing thats different - the C5 has a transaxle.

near the same and being the same are two different things. the L99 v8 in the caprice was near the same as the LT4 in the vette, yet share pretty much nothing and perform completely different. the corvette and silverado both use gen III engines making most parts interchangable which is no different than the full size van, etc. remember guy's, just like in the past, the engine in the vette isn't really anything special and not all gen III engines are LS1's.

Zippy - The question asked was how many engine parts are similar.

I just changed the oil in my SSS and was wondering if we could put together a thread of the parts that fit both?  As I changed the oil I noticed that it has the same filter.  I also read that the oil filler cap from a vette would fit the sss filler.  :chevy: I like to be able to point out the similarites to my grease monkey friends.

With my impala SS I have a good idea about the similarties between the LT1 and its Corvette brother, I would just like to have the same for the newer generation chevy motors (LS1, LS6, LQ6,...) :confused:  what do the numbers mean?

There is nothing better than (to me) being able to have great information about my powerplant-and its hi-po orgins, and the look of awe when you can say your truck is the working man's (woman's) corvette.  thanks

joe

No matter, the LS1 is special, as are all other GEN III engines. I wouldn't be driving an SS if it were a typical SBC chevy. Fact is, many more parts are the same between these motors that you realize.

the gen III is the only small block chevy being produced for light duty trucks and passenger cars. he asked if we could put together a thread on it, that's a yes or no answer. the only next question was what do the numbers mean. if the similarities were all that's in question, it's damn near everything since they are both gen III small blocks. it's not like it's the difference between a small block and big block. i'm more than aware of the difference in all of the gen III engines and have my share of hours working with them as well as training on them.

now that i have a bit more time. the code's referred to are LR4, LM4, LM7, L59, LS1, LS6, LQ4, and LQ9. these are known as regular production option codes. for the most part it's how things are identified for parts replacement and how the list of parts is seperated as it comes down the assembly line. they pretty much come out like this:

LR4=4.8 or 293 truck/van/fullsize utility cast iron block-aluminum heads

LM4=5.3 or 325 ssr/midsize utility aluminum block-aluminum heads

LM7=5.3 or 325 truck/fullsize utility/van cast iron block-aluminum heads

L59=5.3 or 325 truck/utility cast iron block-aluminum heads (flex fuel)

LS1=5.7 or 346 passenger car aluminum block-aluminum heads

LS6=5.7 or 346 passenger car aluminum block-aluminum heads (h.o version)

LQ4=6.0 or 364 truck/van/fullsize utility cast iron block-aluminum heads after 2000

LQ9=6.0 or 364 truck/fullsize utility cast iron block-aluminum heads (h.o. version)

any more questions on the engine rpo's?

wow, what a bomb shell!! I was just asking :confused:

Thanks for the responses, my next question is...are the SSS LQ9's? From Zippy's post (mucho information) I would say yes. But some seem to like to prove others wrong. But the information is of value. Thanks again, I am learning so much about my new truck--from my new family :chevy:

happy ridding

joe :thumbs:

Archived