Oil change intervals

SilveradoEsEs

Does anyone here use the DIC Oil Life interval to change their oil? My truck has 5900 miles on it now and the Oil Life meter still has 14% remaining till the recommended change. This seems like a long time without changing the oil.

I told two guys that I carpool with about this and they said that some of the people that they knew with regular Silverados were using the Oil Life meter and that some of them had 60-70,000 miles on their trucks with no problems.

We have many customers at work (I work for a chevy dealer) that use the Oil Life Moniter to decide when to change their oil and we've found no problems with it so far. One of the things GM did when designing the Gen III engine is increase it's oil capacity. This runs the oil at a lower temperature which is a leading problem with an oil breaking down. Running a higher oil capacity also makes it take longer to make the oil dirty. This was all taken into consideration when designing the Oil Life Monitor system. If you work the truck hard it will come on at around 3000 miles and if you do alot of highway easy type driving you'll find it will go around 5000 miles or more. As long as you're running a good brand of filter and a good brand of oil I'd recomend using the oil life monitor myself.

• 6 months later...

ok well i run royal purple and it says to just change the oil filter every 3000 miles and to change the oil every other time you change the filter....so when i change the filter should i reset the oil monitor? or should i just change it all when the oil monitor says? i also use WIX filters....any help would be appreciated! thanks

:withstupid: When you do the math, using AmsOil is a clear choice:

8 oil changes in 25,000 miles @ $20 a change is $160.

To run AmsOil, which is 1 change in 25,000 miles, you'll pay about $80. (And put the $80 you saved towards that N'Sync Collector's Edition CD Set you've always wanted ...)

Plus, you'll see gains in fuel economy. (Which, I know most of the guys on here aren't concerned about ...)

When I first got my SS I was lucky to 16 MPG on the Hwy. Now that I run AmsOil 0W-30 in the motor, the Ea Oil Filter, their Ea Air Filter, and the Severe Duty ATF in the Tranny, I can get about 20 MPG on the Hwy. Show me a SSS that gets 20 MPG that's not running AmsOil ...

Plus, I noticed much smoother shifting once I had the ATF in.

:rollin:

ok well i run royal purple and it says to just change the oil filter every 3000 miles and to change the oil every other time you change the filter....so when i change the filter should i reset the oil monitor? or should i just change it all when the oil monitor says? i also use WIX filters....any help would be appreciated! thanks

4 mpg for amsoil swap front to back? WOW

You should pick up another 2 or 3 doing the diffs and T case ...  :driving:  :jester:

I am going to be doing the diffs. in spring.

Unfortunately, AmsOil doesn't make a fluid that replaces the GM Blue TxFer Case fluid. :tear:

Archived