last shot with the 4L65E....

yeah... i dunno, it was just suggested to me since im blown... my 1-2 is violent as is, but i would really like not to burn up any more bullshit clutches :dunno: ...

i was reading the instructions today too... kinda pissed that the company i bought it from knew i was blown, however didnt tell me i needed the $28 bypass (VBP-VAC is the part number) - now if i want to go ahead with this solenoid mod, ill need to wait even longer to get this damn thing...

:dunno: guinea pig at it again

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't "need" the vacuum setup. Many hp builds will already have it and at least a few on here do. So you're no guinea pig there. Buying your own pieces has been done a few also. You just have to suffer through making the decisions you think are best based on the input/feedback you get. Not a huge undertaking what you are doing.

The hardest part lies in finding a tranny builder you have trust in. Never did hear who was doing the build. The place I went, the guy's reputation in the 4L60/GM tranny world, preceeded him. I was not his guinea pig and you don't want to be someone's either. If you are, move on.

i guess i should have been a lil more clear with my useage of the word "guinea pig" - more or less meaning for myself, and who i know.... i knew nothing of this solenoid till i came across it in a mgazine.... havnt heard of anyone using it, installing one etc. etc. etc..... so thats what i meant by guinea pig.... i dont think for one second im the first to come across one... i just dont know of anyone with one.

anywho... as far as the trans builder goes... your talkin to him....

my experienxce as far as this trans goes....

4 - race bulds on 700R4s

5 - times going into the 4l65e in my truck

i dont have the $$$ to actually pay someone to do it, and i trust myself for whatever reason

the past failures on my truck can be simplified into the fact that A LOT of "stock" parts kept going back into the trans whenever something went wrong, being that it was warrantied (free) and i was getting paid for it... HOWEVER when i built the 700r4s that i have... i went NUTS on them... as far as parts, purchasing and research goes... many of them daily drove (summers) running 11's n/a and nitrous... im not bragging, but im just letting out my background as far as this transmission is concerned, also, on a certian level explaining my recient failures... thanks for the help guys, i truely aprecieate it... wish me luck :thumbs:

One question... Why are you going with "The Beast" Sun shell? The GM one is better/stronger. Your friend Zippy should have told you that... :dunno: I put a GM updated one in my old 700R4 after breaking the stock one, then a "Beast"... Now, where's that part number...

I don't believe I've seen a 65E yet that has had a failure of the sunshell. Not that the beast isn't a quality unit, but it would seem an unecessary replacement.

im lookin around, but i cannot find the pic of mine when i stripped out the splines...

You killed a sunshell on your truck too?

I thought that I had always heard about the "Beast" sunshell being weaker than the GM piece. Is this not true? I remember reading to not go with the aftermarket 4 or 5 planet versions on all of the thirdgen.org posts (700R4 related) and the Cy-Ty boards (also 700R4) because the 5 planet GM piece was stronger. Am I even thinking of the right part??? :confused:

the 5 pinion gear-set and the sun shell are two completely diff components...

700R(4) - 4 meaning 4 pinion front and rear plaentaries

(4)L60-E

4L6(5)-E - 5 meaning 5 pinion front and rear planetaries...

all the "aftermarket" companies are doing is selling the 5 pinion factory piece for those who do not already have it...

the sunshell is "updated" in the 4L65, however Monster trans makes a "stronger than beast - aka stronger than 65 shell... thats what i went with for shits and giggles (kind of part of a complete package from them) :dunno: i should be G2G (good to go) this time around :thumbs:

now if i could ever get around to having time to fix this shit :banghead:

dunno... havnt taken one apart nor seen any in detail pictures/cad drawings... :dunno:

i doubt it to have 7 tho... my lil "system" of the 700r(4) meaning pinions and (4)L60 etc. etc. is just my assumption... GM actually says that number has no significance toward actual "hard-parts" but like i said thats my assumption :dunno: makes somewhat sense to me...?

im pretty sure the 4L70 only has 5 being that within reading the diff. page between the 65 and the 70 meantioned nothing aboot the pinions being any diff. only selective hard pts. incl. the output shaft (updated) :dunno:

I thought the 4 represented 4 forward gears, the 40/60/80 represents the duty of the trans. such as 40 = light duty, in smaller cars, 60 medium duty, and 80 heavy duty. The T = transverse, and L = Longitudinal orientations.

your right with the T and L.... but im not too sure aboot the series numbers... could be right there :dunno:

im more concerned aboot getting her back together and making sure it stays that way for a while

Archived