Official: McGoofy's product TOTALLY sucks. :(

misterp

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The more i read these posts about the mcghauy drop kit the more frustratred i'm getting. Just had one of there kits installed two weeks ago and a couple days after i had it i noticed when i hit the gas after 65mph and well past 80mph i get this awful vibration and shimmering all through what feels like the center of the truck. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: Then it seems to go away when i let off and resume cruising speed (70-72mph) what gives? Can anything be done about it besides what Mr.P is doing, maybe a different way to drop the rear? Man this upsets me, i don't want my truck vibrating apart every time i lay into it.

Yup you've got the same affliction, rear pinion angle is off. Did you install the Deluxe kit? Is the rear dropped completely 3.5" (using the upper holes on the front perches and rear shackles)? If so then the cheapest thing is as Chase suggested, a 6-8 degree shim. Hang tight a few days and see what both Chase and myself come up with, I'm rewelding the perches and he's going to try a different shim.

Mr. P.

another thing i didn not mention im not using the very top hole on my shackles its the 2nd to the top hole, so im not getting the full drop but i dont want it that low, shims should be here today to bad the truck is immobile, but the blower is on its way back!

another thing i didn not mention im not using the very top hole on my shackles its the 2nd to the top hole, so im not getting the full drop but i dont want it that low, shims should be here today to bad the truck is immobile, but the blower is on its way back!

So you're using the top/upper hole on the front spring perch, and the lower/bottom hole on the rear shackle? (my shackles only had 2 holes)

Mr. P.

yes. im thinking also maybe going to the lower hole on the hanger/spring perch and using the bottom hole on the shackle. you think that would help me out or would i gain some height?only thing that sucks is that is a pain in the ass because you have to remove the front hanger completly to get the bolt out and put it back in!

Yeah I know that PITA, just did it myself last week - took 2 hrs, the good news was that I was able to get it done without completely lowering the gas tank. Let me measure after work tonight, I'll tell you the difference between using the upper & lower holes in the front spring perch. I originally used the lower under the mistake information that there would be no vibration, but since there was a shaking at that setting I decided f***-it and switched to the upper hole as apparently there will be a correction required either way. I'll have to post up a new pic of the latest truck stance...

Chase, what's the overall height of your tires?

Mr. P.

Yeah I know that PITA, just did it myself last week - took 2 hrs, the good news was that I was able to get it done without completely lowering the gas tank.  Let me measure after work tonight, I'll tell you the difference between using the upper & lower holes in the front spring perch.  I originally used the lower under the mistake information that there would be no vibration, but since there was a shaking at that setting I decided f***-it and switched to the upper hole as apparently there will be a correction required either way.  I'll have to post up a new pic of the latest truck stance...

Chase, what's the overall height of your tires?

Mr. P.

im thinking it will actualy help seeing how it will help aim the pinion angle down more since the rear of the spring is going up and the front is going down.may actually be worth trying

as for the tires i am running a 285/60/18 right now that is = to a 31.46

but im soo putting the 22's back on which is a 305/40/22= 31.61

Hey guys

For whatever it's worth, I have mine installed in the lowest holes on both the shackles and hangers and I get the vibration. Although it seems very, very minimal, it's still there so if your looking for a quick fix, forget it. :lol: I remember when I first got my truck back from the installer, both were installed in the upper holes and it was riding on bumpstops, I hated it! :mad: I came home and re-installed them into the holes they sit in currently so I know what a PITA it is to change it up.

Hey Mr. P, what is the correct configuration according to Mike again?

i think it may be possible alex im going to do it a little different than what you had not both low nor both high, the higher one on the front hanger and the lower one on the rear shacle, it should help rotate the pinion angle down some more than what it is currently hopefully giveing me less vibration. only one way to know for sure!

i think it may be possible alex im going to do it a little different than what you had not both low nor both high, the higher one on the front hanger and the lower one on the rear shacle, it should help rotate the pinion angle down some more than what it is currently hopefully giveing me less vibration. only one way to know for sure!

I believe that is what McGaughy's recommends isn't it? Something like that. Looking under the truck, it does make sense what you are talking about. I've thought about doing that, it's just all the work involved that gets me thinking NOT! :D

I also get the exact same vibration unde heavy load at around 70-80MPH in my truck, normal accel and cruising is no problem. Only under load it vibrates.

So you got one more interested person ib what happens.

I was extremely careful putting everything in and I have the front hanger set on the lowest hole (hole closest to the ground) and the shackle in the lowest hole also. I believe this was Mike's recommendation.

I appreciate all the hard works guys, we are rooting for you...... :happysad:

Yup you've got the same affliction, rear pinion angle is off.  Did you install the Deluxe kit?  Is the rear dropped completely 3.5" (using the upper holes on the front perches and rear shackles)? If so then the cheapest thing is as Chase suggested, a 6-8 degree shim.  Hang tight a few days and see what both Chase and myself come up with, I'm rewelding the perches and he's going to try a different shim.

Mr. P.

:nono: I'm pretty positive that it is the deluxe kit cause when i wasn't sure what i was gonna do about my tire rubbing issue the shop that installed the kit mentioned raiseing the rear and turning the torsion bars so the truck would set higher, and hopefully end the rub rub :smash:. So if i did raise the rear back up would i need a shim with less degree, even though raising the truck would blow! Thanks guys, its great theirs people out there hard at trying to find solutions to alot of peoples problems then shareing what you've discoverd. FreekenAwesome :thumbs:

i think mr P is the one to be thanking, if it werent for him i probably wouldnt have know the pinion angle was off by that much. i am really glad he has gone this far tofind the problems and approuch a soulution to fix it. i am a perfectionist as well ,and i want my truck to be done right. I am glad to help out and i will definatley post my results shims should be here tommorrow and hopefully the blower to but most likely next week.

Thanks again Mr P. :thumbs:

hi

i have one of the mcgaughys drop kits on my truck with no problem. my installer tim at suspension online did all the work. my truck has the spindles in the front and shackel hanger in the rear. i went out and looked and my leaf springs are mounted in the top hole of the front hanger (farthest from ground) and bottom hole on the rear shackel (closest to the ground) i have not had one problem with driveline vibration or any other vibrations as well. i have had my truck up to 85 mph. i talked to tim and brought the truck in after reading all these posts about vibration wanting him to double check it he drove it up to 85 mph and nothing happened. what he did next was show me how to get a vibration. he losend up the torsion bars in the front and droped the truck down another 1". we took it out for a drive and then it had a nasty vibration at about 60 mph. he told me that if you lower the back more than 3.5 inches or the front more than 2 inches you could have this problem. anyways everything is fine on my truck, but i hope the rest of you guys can find your problems.

good luck

Archived