Official: McGoofy's product TOTALLY sucks. :(

misterp

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hi

i have one of the mcgaughys drop kits on my truck with no problem.  my installer tim at suspension online did all the work. my truck has the spindles in the front and shackel hanger in the rear.  i went out and looked and  my leaf springs are mounted in the top hole of the front hanger (farthest from ground) and bottom hole on the rear shackel (closest to the ground) i have not had one problem with driveline vibration or any other vibrations as well.  i have had my truck up to 85 mph.  i talked to tim and brought the truck in after reading all these posts about vibration wanting him to double check it he drove it up to 85 mph and nothing happened.  what he did next was show me how to get a vibration.  he losend up the torsion bars in the front and droped the truck down another 1".  we took it out for a drive and then it had a nasty vibration at about 60 mph. he told me that if you lower the back more than 3.5 inches or the front more than 2 inches you could have this problem.  anyways everything is fine on my truck, but i hope the rest of you guys can find your problems.

good luck

I assume yours is an '05. Is it 2WD or AWD? I believe it will make a difference in driveshaft angle as you wouldn't have a transfer case in the mix.

I assume yours is an '05. Is it 2WD or AWD? I believe it will make a difference in driveshaft angle as you wouldn't have a transfer case in the mix.

I didn't even think of that; the 2WD trucks have a 2-piece driveshaft and with a carrier bearing relocation seem to tolerate the changes in drivetrain geometry much better.

Mr. P.

hi

i have one of the mcgaughys drop kits on my truck with no problem.  my installer tim at suspension online did all the work. my truck has the spindles in the front and shackel hanger in the rear.  i went out and looked and  my leaf springs are mounted in the top hole of the front hanger (farthest from ground) and bottom hole on the rear shackel (closest to the ground) i have not had one problem with driveline vibration or any other vibrations as well.  i have had my truck up to 85 mph.  i talked to tim and brought the truck in after reading all these posts about vibration wanting him to double check it he drove it up to 85 mph and nothing happened.  what he did next was show me how to get a vibration.  he losend up the torsion bars in the front and droped the truck down another 1".  we took it out for a drive and then it had a nasty vibration at about 60 mph. he told me that if you lower the back more than 3.5 inches or the front more than 2 inches you could have this problem.  anyways everything is fine on my truck, but i hope the rest of you guys can find your problems.

good luck

my truck is awd....

i never had a problem in the front or rear with any vibrations. or in the driveline.

I didn't even think of that; the 2WD trucks have a 2-piece driveshaft and with a carrier bearing relocation seem to tolerate the changes in drivetrain geometry much better.

Mr. P.

Actually the vibration gets really really bad if you don't use any shims and/or a carrier bearing relocator. I am using both.

• 3 weeks later...

well i got to drive the SS on the freeway with the 6 degree shim sand to my surprise the vibration seemed to be gone, i got it to about 75 and i felt it just a bit but nothing compared to before. it is much much better. i think if i dropped the rear shackle another hole it would disapear.i may do this next weekend and see what happens!

Good to hear, I wonder if the extra two degree's to make it 8 total like Mister P said would completely get rid of it. But hey and improvement is great to hear, thanks for reporting 04Chase.

Shims may be on order....... :cool:

HEY - which of you guys changed the title of my post? I distinctly used the title of "McGaughy's product TOTALLY sucks. :)", not "McGoofy's product TOTALLY sucks. :)". In the future have consideration for somebody else (like I might be in the middle of a LAW SUIT) before you pull a stunt like that AND CHANGE IT BACK.

HEY - which of you guys changed the title of my post?  I distinctly used the title of "McGaughy's product TOTALLY sucks. :)", not "McGoofy's product TOTALLY sucks. :)".  In the future have consideration for somebody else (like I might be in the middle of a LAW SUIT) before you pull a stunt like that AND CHANGE IT BACK.

LOL damn man don't be so paranoid :crackup:

ZERO shims and ZERO vibration

2/2 Belltech steering knuckles and shackles.

i don't know what else to tell ya, other than it sucks what your going through...

I also don't know why people keep calling them "Spindles" our trucks have no spindles. we have a steering knuckle that the axel goes through though.

i tow my race car with my truck and i have no problems at all. I also did all my own install, i always install all my parts myself so i know exactally what is going on with my car.

ZERO shims and ZERO vibration

2/2 Belltech steering knuckles and shackles.

i don't know what else to tell ya, other than it sucks what your going through...

I also don't know why people keep calling them "Spindles" our trucks have no spindles.  we have a steering knuckle that the axel goes through though.

i tow my race car with my truck and i have no problems at all.  I also did all my own install, i always install all my parts myself so i know exactally what is going on with my car.

ive never heard knucklles before, i guess its just different terminology. most have siad to not get any vibration when going with the 2 rear drop, its when you use the hangers and gor for 3+ drop is when the vibration shows up!

GM themselves call the stock "spindle" a STEERING KNUCKLE

BellTech further calls them steering knuckles.

a spindle is found on 2wd vehicals that do not have an axel, rather a SPINDLE that you mount you wheel to. our truck have no such items.......

go to any GM dealer and ask for a front steering torque specification sheet. any good reputable service department shall have no problems printing one off for you. listed you will see GM calling it a STEERING KNUCKLE

~with that i quit this conversation.

damn dude dont get your panties caught in your **** :chillpill: , everyone i have ever heard refer to it as a spindle so im going to call it a spindle because that is what most people know it as.

Archived