New Radix time.. (Zippy was curious)

I wasnt sure if you'd see this on the other forum and I know some of you were curious how this combo would work out. Well, its obviously not done yet as my TQ hasnt been changed out after we found out it was wrong, I'm running a SD tune but on a 1-bar MAP, no tuning for the 90mm TB etc.

I found out some curious things about the setup. Mainly how heat tempermental it is and that my 60' is either really consistant (when I am not trying new techinques) or its drop by 2 10ths randomly.

I ran mostly [email protected] 2.3 60's until we got those very long cool down periods and the temps dropped fast.

Then I ran in 2wd after about an hour long cool down and got a [email protected] 2.62 60' (ok so 2wd was a bad idea).

Then for the last run after another LONG cool down I ran in 4wd and launch off-idle and hit a [email protected] 2.03 60'. Talk about a difference a cool down and launching off idle made. :confused: Gonna have to check into the tuning and see if I am getting timing pulled off the line when trying to stall it up or something.

Anyway, I am pretty happy with that MPH on only 5psi. Now I just have to install the new TQ converter and tuen for the 90mm TB and I'll be set. Well, until I start dreaming of the 7psi pulley :secret:

Next time out I'll have a bigger fluid reservoir for the IC and lots of ice. I didnt realize how hot the fluid and the blower stay even after sitting for an hour. :banghead: I didnt have any water or ice on this trip.

Heat is the biggest problem the Radix has. If you can get it to cool off it sure does make good power and especially big torque. Another thing I have found over the time I have spent working with Radix trucks is that they tend to most often run better times if you launch them off idle. I've pulled 1.7xx 60' times with a Radix truck launching off idle as well as a couple customers of mine. Thanx alot for posting though, I like to follow your progress. You should put your truck in the track times section members without SSS's.

Track times

I agree with the off idle launch as well. Log some launches and look at the KR. I would sometimes get 5* + of KR and in turn lay down an aweful 1.90 - 2.00 60 ft. (3000 stall converter).

I am doing the taboo meth through the radix and it sure does keep Intake temps down. I am scheduling some dyno time at the end of the month and hopefully hit the track while the weather is cool.

Pulling a 1 second time difference is HUGE! Nice work! :cheers:

thanks guys. :)

There is still a lot left in it with the current pulley so I'll continue to work on that and see if I can get in the 12s that way.

I just bought a 3ga fuel cell to mount in the bed to replace the tiny Radix coolant reservoir and so I can fill it with tons of ice :)

Im going to just launch off idle form now one and will work on the temp vs grms/cyl tables and see if I can keep the KR down as well as change out this lame converter so my 60s will come down as much as they can with the 80Es horrible 1st gear.

One trick I did to help the Radix cool down is to add a jumper on the intercooler pump power line. I can just hook it up and let the pump (and electric fans) run while the engine is off. It seems to take only 2 min to lower the coolant to close to ambient air temp. Of course, there is always heat to remove from the supercharger, and more gets to it from the engine, but leaving the pump and fans running will at least assure cool intercooler coolant.

One trick I did to help the Radix cool down is to add a jumper on the intercooler pump power line.  I can just hook it up and let the pump (and electric fans) run while the engine is off.  It seems to take only 2 min to lower the coolant to close to ambient air temp.  Of course, there is always heat to remove from the supercharger, and more gets to it from the engine, but leaving the pump and fans running will at least assure cool intercooler coolant.

I want to do that as well. I already have switches in the dash that I am not using anymore so I might as well run a wire up there. I know what you mean though. It was so bad Sat. night that I was pouring bottled water onto the ridges of the blower to help wick away heat. Lame I know but it was better than nothing. Just sucked sitting there knowing the blower and its coolant was hot and the H/E was cool.

With the next round of mods you'll easily be in the 12's. You have a meth kit in there?

Thats what Im hoping but its not going to be super easy without cold temps. I dont know fo anyone else doing ti with my cubes and 5psi in a 4wd ext.cab so I wasnt sure it could be done till I saw my current MPH :)

Im not running meth yet. I have an AlkyControl kit sitting at the shop from my old STS kit. Im trying to get around having to use it though as it clutters up the engine bay but if I end up running 12s on 5psi then I may tyry the next size pulley and then I would probably need the meth to get the full potential out of the upgrade. It would be pretty sweet to get near my STS times with only 7-8psi on the Radix and have much better driveability and durrability with this new 80E conversion.

Just curious.  Why did you get rid of the STS and move on the the Radix???

Long story short I was gonna put the STS on a fully built 6.0L in my RCSB and try for a solid mid 10sec truck. I built the 5.3L in the Z71 for N/A duty but ran across a great deal on the Radix and decided to toy with it and see what it could do with my high compression engine. So far its doing great.

Im in the middle of my fuel cell upgrade right now so off to the parts store for some 5/8 hose :) Ohh, and why is it when you need to drill holes the damn battery is always dead and you have to charge the drill while twioddling your thumbs for the next 1/2hr+?

that a boy justin....let me know the next time you go to the track....getting pretty close with the tune, just a few little things im going to have keith take a look at to make sure its all good before running the meth and spray.