Anyone else having door panel issues?

Black03SS_NJ

My truck is 300mi from going out of warranty, so it's at the dealership today for it's third door panel replacement on the driver's side, and first on the passenger. Seems the catch for the switch housing (where the window and lock switches are) keeps breaking, which allows the housing to flop around, especially when the door is closed. Brilliant design by GM, one tiny catch breaks and an entire door panel is needed.

Am I the only one with this problem? They seem to break from everyday wear-and-tear. After six or eight months of normal opening and closing, this catch breaks again. I'll be out of warranty by next week, and I hate to think I'll have to deal with this forever.

no nothin wrong with my door panel but my cladding on the pass. side if sat in sun or anything like that will come loose a little then someone will open the door and break it off or bend the hsit out of it im headed to dealer this week for my third new one kinda pissing me off as i need my truck for work.

My cladding on the driver back door scrapes with the frame of the truck and it left a deep white scratch on the cladding. :( It only does it when the truck is on an angle and you open the driverside passenger door. It will be hard to prove this to chevy. :(

Okay - seems odd that something so flimsy would only be breaking on my truck. I hope it's not due to all of the dynamat I have installed, just waiting for the dealer to blame me for it.

And to add insult to injury, they pulled the old double-appointment where they schedule a drop-off to diagnose something ("yep, it's broken") and then schedule you another day for an install after parts are ordered. I would think GM's warranty department wouldn't put up with that crap, but they do it to me every time. Drives me nuts. Plus they did it to me twice in one week - "yep, your C5 hasn't been in for that recall yet, so we'll have to schedule you for another day..." So frustrating!

Okay - seems odd that something so flimsy would only be breaking on my truck.  I hope it's not due to all of the dynamat I have installed, just waiting for the dealer to blame me for it.

And to add insult to injury, they pulled the old double-appointment where they schedule a drop-off to diagnose something ("yep, it's broken") and then schedule you another day for an install after parts are ordered.  I would think GM's warranty department wouldn't put up with that crap, but they do it to me every time.  Drives me nuts.  Plus they did it to me twice in one week - "yep, your C5 hasn't been in for that recall yet, so we'll have to schedule you for another day..."  So frustrating!

Does it make a rattle like something is loose in there? Mine just started doing that at the end of last week... It's not a window track sound, door panel has never been off. 6,000 miles past warranty... :cry:

BTW, dealers HAVE to do that for recalls and warranty work in order to diagnose the problem in person and not over the phone. Even if the dealer thinks the customer actually does know what they're talking about... because so many customers DON'T know what the hell they're talking about. Unless the dealer has the items in stock, or unless the recall is a safety issue where every car gets the recall performed, the car must be diagnosed and then order the parts. :chillpill:

Edited by SS_bnoon_SS (see edit history)

Does it make a rattle like something is loose in there? Mine just started doing that at the end of last week... It's not a window track sound, door panel has never been off. 6,000 miles past warranty... :cry:

Nope - this problem is separate from the door rattle, I have two separate door rattles. One when the window is down (sounds like something has worked loose), and another that comes from the door hinges when driving over bumps. I gave up on getting those fixed by the dealer - twice they blamed it on my exhaust, as if the two have anything to do with one another.

BTW, dealers HAVE to do that for recalls and warranty work in order to diagnose the problem in person and not over the phone. Even if the dealer thinks the customer actually does know what they're talking about... because so many customers DON'T know what the hell they're talking about. Unless the dealer has the items in stock, or unless the recall is a safety issue where every car gets the recall performed, the car must be diagnosed and then order the parts.  :chillpill:

Maybe you didn't understand my frustration, I understand that they need to do diagnosis. But we're not talking about "my truck makes a noise when I stop" where there would be something to diagnose. We're talking about a broken piece of trim - what "diagnosis" does that require? Why should I need a 1st trip to the dealer is to make an appointment (never by phone), service guy comes out and looks at problem, makes appointment to drop off. 2nd trip is for the drop off, get a call at the end of the day saying yep, it's broken, come and pick it up, we had to order parts. That requires a 3rd trip to the dealer for the actual repair. That's nuts!

And as for a recall, I get a notice in the mail FROM THE DEALER which says come in so we can do the following recall. Then when I drop it off for the recall, all they do is run the VIN, note that the recall hasn't been performed, and order parts. No diagnosis there either! That should be one day at the dealer, not two.

Edited by Black03SS_NJ (see edit history)

no nothin wrong with my door panel but my cladding on the pass. side if sat in sun or anything like that will come loose a little then someone will open the door and break it off or bend the hsit out of it im headed to dealer this week for my third new one kinda pissing me off as i need my truck for work.

This is the same exact issue I have. Posted questions like 2 months ago and this is the first I've heard from anyone else having this problem. Passenger side gets the afternoon sun, cladding seems to bulge away from the door, door gets opened, bam cladding all f'ed up. My truck has been out of warranty for a while, estimate for repair = $400

Sorry black03, didn't mean to step on your post.

Edited by tehoatim (see edit history)