Dash Gauge Color

haynss

Does anyone know if its pretty easy to change the bulbs in the dash that light up the gauges? I mean are the bulbs acessible to swap out? I've already swapped out the the dome lights to red and I was thinking of going with a red light against the white back face :cool: Thoughts?

Alright got the dash out and saw where the lights live, on the circuit board with other crap. Problem is I dont know how to get the gauges out of the way to remove the plastic panel that seperates the circuit board and white backface. :confused: ill try to call a company that sells the difference gauge backgrounds.

If it is like prior year gauges, they are actually stuck on. They can be peeled off very carefully and SLOWLY and not get messed up at all. I still have the one from my '99 and it still looks brand new.

As far as needles go, start the engine and note the position of the tachometer. Remove the cluster. Remove the clear cover be depressing tabs, or remove phillips head screw that hold front and rear of cluster together.

Look at gauge faces to see if needle stops are used. If they are, remove with pliers by lifting straight up. Note the exact positions of needles after pin stops are removed. You could do so by maybe using a pencil lightly on the face of the gauges. Obviously very important on marking where all the needles were prior to pulling needles out.

You use a golf divot tool to remove the needles by just sliding under the needles.

The only potential problem I see is resticking back on. But, a good spray adhesive should work fine.

Reverse procedures in re-installing. Should be pretty easy. These are the directions straight off APC envelope my white face gauges came in for my last truck.

Hope it helps.

-Ben

Thanks BenKey! So i got the needles off, ran to the parts store to see if they had bulbs or bulb covers at least and nothing that small. Since I wont be able to do the blacklight thing unless i do some mods to the gauge(which i dont really wanna do), I was thinking of just coloring the bulb red with like a red sharpy or something. Think the light will come out read??? I guess I could try it with a regular bulb to see how that would work.

so besides having pretty much a one way conversation with myself here and just posting as I progress, the Red Sharpie looks SWEET!!! Colored all the bulbs red in the dash. Dont know how to get to the radio, ac, passenger airbad, etc, but the dash is nice. Goes with the dome lights i changed to red as well :cool:

thanks for help benkey

pics please  :D

I took some pics but of course the flash went on, and when the flash went on you cant really see the dash, however I did get one with the dome light on, but it just looks like a red blob. Took the pics in the garage while it was dark. Put the camera to night so the sutter would go a little slower.......this is the best I could getreddash.jpg

redinterior.jpg

Archived