Upgrading a 4L70E?

Well since the only vehicles they're in are the TBSS and the Vortec Max package trucks, I'm gonna guess he's got a Vortec Max.

I have heard NOTHING from zippy or anyone else about upgrades to this tranny. Nor have I seen a comprehensive list of differences between it and the 4L65E.

Well since the only vehicles they're in are the TBSS and the Vortec Max package trucks, I'm gonna guess he's got a Vortec Max.

I have heard NOTHING from zippy or anyone else about upgrades to this tranny.  Nor have I seen a comprehensive list of differences between it and the 4L65E.

i beleive they have a hardened output shaft vs the 65, that is all i know the difference to be so far.hopefully zip chimes in , im curious to know the difference myself!

I was told at the drags the other day that the 4L70E also has "5 bolt planetaries", "input shaft sensor" (which not all do) and a "heavy duty torque converter". When I bought the truck I was told that it also had a different TC.

I have a kit to try out for the 70E, but I'm not going to sell it as a kit until I try it in one that I'm installing the kit on myself. The 65E has a hardened output shaft, but the 70E has something different about it's output shaft. It's likely hardened also, but from a different material of metal. Both the 65E and 70E have an input speed sensor for 06' and newer. As for the planetaries, if you can find any bolts on them, let me know...

I'm assuming you must be the one that e-mailed me that has been watching your trans temps when you're towing?

I was half listening to the guy when he was talking about the planetaries. I've never been really 'up' on transmissions but I ask everyone about this 4L70 just cuz I've never heard/read a straight answer as to WTF it has in it.

Zippy, if you're asking me about towing, not me.

The test I'm interested in is to see how long a 4L70 lasts for someone with a blower. That's were the others all seem to fail miserably.

I was half listening to the guy when he was talking about the planetaries. I've never been really 'up' on transmissions but I ask everyone about this 4L70 just cuz I've never heard/read a straight answer as to WTF it has in it.

The test I'm interested in is to see how long a 4L70 lasts for someone with a blower. That's were the others all seem to fail miserably.

There have been alot of 65E's out there that with simply a shift kit have lasted quite well behind 6.7L's, superchargers, and nitrous. Alot of it is in the programming as well as a good shift kit.

• 3 weeks later...

There have been alot of 65E's out there that with simply a shift kit have lasted quite well behind 6.7L's, superchargers, and nitrous. Alot of it is in the programming as well as a good shift kit.

So is there a kit for the 4l70e?

i with zippy on that your life of your tranny greatly depends on what shift kit you have and how your truck is tuned.

i had a fully built tranny with every hardened part there was and it blow up due to the shift kit that was in it.

for anyone that needs tranny work done i would recommend you talk to zippy, and he will help you out. :thumbs: