What sounds better in our trucks?

Im tring to figure out what would sound better in the SSS a single 12 or dual 10s? Im coming from a Pontiac Grand Prix with a single 15 in it. I don't want it to loud but I want to be able to turn heads when I need to.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im tring to figure out what would sound better in the SSS a single 12 or dual 10s?  Im coming from a Pontiac Grand Prix with a single 15 in it.  I don't want it to loud but I want to be able to turn heads when I need to.

depends on alot of variables. just go to a professional installer and ask to see or hear some of the customers cars. shoot I have 4 8 inch subs and it rocks!!!

it all depends on you man, go with what sounds best to you and how much boom your looking for, variable that help decide are what kind of music do you listen to, do you like fast tight bass or low pounding deep notes.

Well, I admit this is a prejudiced thing to say but I've never really heard a pair of 10's that I really liked; I would rather get a single premium-quality 12" sub that also has the transient response to just wail the metal as well as the rap. banger.gif

Mr. P. :)

Well, I admit this is a prejudiced thing to say but I've never really heard a pair of 10's that I really liked; I would rather get a single premium-quality 12" sub that also has the transient response to just wail the metal as well as the rap.  banger.gif

I'll have to disagree with you there P. I really like the old Kicker competition series, the old processed paper cone Rickford Punch subs (you can still find some new or well cared for ones on EBay from time to time. Both were/are great 10's with quickness and the ability to go low (the kickers go lower). The JL 10W6 is killer, and the W3 sounds great (on a lower scale).

Given the proper space, two 10's will out perform an equal quality 12" any day... more cone area, probably better power handling split between the two, quicker response... the two 10's are winners all around...

That being said, I have a single 12" Kicker solobaric... cause that's what I had available. The other solobaric bit the dust when the speaker wire shorted out on a previous install. :cry:

I've always been a huge fan of the Stillwater stuff, and would seriously consider a pair of 10" L7 woofers, but I have heard a couple folks complain that the power handling was not up to par for punishing abuse; has yours held up pretty well?

I've always been a huge fan of the Stillwater stuff, and would seriously consider a pair of 10" L7 woofers, but I have heard a couple folks complain that the power handling was not up to par for punishing abuse; has yours held up pretty well?

Well, I have one 12L7 square sub right now and it's brand new... (it wouldn't fit without raising the seat. The sub I installed in my truck is the old round "first run" solo-baric that I've ran pretty consistantly 10 years old... It's a little weaker in the suspension control area than it used to be (gets a little muddy at higher volumes if I bump up the bass frequencies to hard), but it's still a great sounding sub. How's that for longevity? 10 years+... at 500-600 watts depending on which amp I ran (I had an Orion 2250 to each one for a while, then dropped down to an Orion 2150 for each, now it's on a Phoenix Gold ZX350 (small amp, but it has to be, otherwise the factory amp/speakers wouldn't be able to keep up).

In my experience, subs don't blow or have power handling problems unless people push them into distorsion by over driving the bass frequencies trying to get every last ounce of thump out of them. I've used Stillwater subs in probably 10 different installations of my own over the years and loved every one of them and never "blown" one with one exception, the other "first run" 12" solo-baric that blew from a partially shorted speaker wire.

I even had very good experience with the "Stillwater Blues" entry level subs several years back....

Now, I'm not saying that Stillwater is the end all be all of subs. I've had and like the MTX subs, Orion subs, JL Audio, Boston, Cerwin Vega strokers, Rockford, etc... each with their own distinct personality.

Edited by SS_bnoon_SS (see edit history)

2-S12L7's in a Subthump Ultra deep box

2 Sound Stream Picasso 1400.1

1- PAC OEM interface

1- SubThump ultra deep

I can knock my rear view mirror off with the remote gain controll. and you can not even tell i have a system.

Well, I have one 12L7 square sub right now and it's brand new... (it wouldn't fit without raising the seat.

that is a lie. i have 2 of them w/o raising the seat. I also have 2,800 watts going to them. all hidden behind the seat.

Well, I have one 12L7 square sub right now and it's brand new... (it wouldn't fit without raising the seat.

that is a lie. i have 2 of them w/o raising the seat. I also have 2,800 watts going to them. all hidden behind the seat.

im pretty sure he's not lying about HIS box not fitting in HIS truck without RAISING the SEAT.

I don't have anything in my truck currently, but in one of my old cars, I had 1 Kicker (don't remember the exact model) in it for a while, then I sold it and went with 2 10" JL's in a bandpass box.. Much better...

Very tight and crisp bass, and the bandpass box helped when I wanted it to get really loud.

Can't beat 2 10's in my opinion!

How in the world did you get it to fit? The sub istself touches the bottom of the seat even without a box... :confused: