Unreal Video

SS--BLOWN

On an August morning in 1978, French filmmaker Claude Lelouch mounted a gyro-stabilized camera to the bumper of a Ferrari 275 GTB and had a friend, a professional Formula 1 racer, drive at breakneck speed through the heart of Paris. The film was limited for technical reasons to 10 minutes; the course was from Porte Dauphine, through the Louvre, to the Basilica of Sacre Coeur.

No streets were closed, for Lelouch was unable to obtain a permit. The driver completed the course in about 9 minutes, reaching nearly 140mph/225kmh in some stretches. The footage reveals him running real red lights, nearly hitting real pedestrians, and driving the wrong way up real one-way streets.

Upon showing the film in public for the first time, Lelouch was arrested. He has never revealed the identity of the driver, and the film went underground until a DVD release a few years ago. Click on this:

Freakin' Unreal

Make sure your sound is on, sit down, fasten your seat belt, and HOLD ON!

I used to drive my '76 Chevette like that back when I was 16 years old... :D

Don't laugh to hard though... In 1987, I think I may have inadvertently started the engine swap/compact car craze with my 2.3L Vega engine swap... It had a Comp Cams camshaft and a 390 cfm Holley 4 barrel carb too, making 180 RWHP in a 2300 pound car. I had my driver's licence a whole 6 months before it was suspended... and then suspended again for driving (like a maniac) while still on suspension. I didn't get my license back until one week before graduating high school in May 1990. I bet you can guess how many dates I got on my Huffy 12 speed... :sigh:

Great video though. Glad I never saw it back then, it would have given me more ideas than I already had! :crackup:

Edited by SS_bnoon_SS (see edit history)

On an August morning in 1978, French filmmaker Claude Lelouch mounted a gyro-stabilized camera to the bumper of a Ferrari 275 GTB and had a friend, a professional Formula 1 racer, drive at breakneck speed through the heart of Paris. The film was limited for technical reasons to 10 minutes; the course was from Porte Dauphine, through the Louvre, to the Basilica of Sacre Coeur.

No streets were closed, for Lelouch was unable to obtain a permit.  The driver completed the course in about 9 minutes, reaching nearly 140mph/225kmh in some stretches. The footage reveals him running real red lights, nearly hitting real pedestrians, and driving the wrong way up real one-way streets.

Upon showing the film in public for the first time, Lelouch was arrested.  He has never revealed the identity of the driver, and the film went underground until a DVD release a few years ago. Click on this:

Really cool video. I had been shown this by a product rep of mine a little while ago.... he comes from a family of race car drivers and he always has the cool background info on stuff like this. He has lived all over Europe and driven all kinds of cars on legendary tracks. Check out what he told me about it:

I lived in Paris as a kid from 71 thru 74 so I used to romp around where a lot of this was filmed. By the way, LaLouch recently divulged the identity of the driver who was thought to have been Jacques Laffitte. As it turns out, it was Lalouch himself which is pretty amazing since that was a pretty darn fair piece of driving. I finally got my hands on the DVD at the LA autoshow a couple of years back after hearing my dad talk about this for almost 30 years!

The crazy part is that it really was unrehearsed. This video has been a cult "thing" for years. My dad would be at cocktail parties and someone would bring it up..."you know there's this crazy video of this guy hauling ass throught the streets of Paris..." I used to hang out on the Champs Eylesee right passed the Arc de Triumph, so I know the area like the back of my hand. That section where he makes a left when the bus pulls out in front of him and it looks like he is driving through court yard of a really big building is actually part of the Louvre! They filmed it in the morning in August (Aug because all of France is on vacation camping somewhere so Paris is EMPTY) when no one is around. I went back there the summer before they filmed this to hang out with some friends, it was really cool to live there, have never really gotten over it!

Edited by Dylan06SS (see edit history)