If you work at a dealership please answer this...

Bowtie70SS

A buddy of mine bought a brand new Cobalt. He drove it for a week (200 miles) and noticed that the brakes were pulsating. He dropped it off and when he came to pick it up they told him they turned the rotors...reused the pads. What the hell? I think that car was like 17k and they're gonna turn a set of 200 mile rotors? What a sack of BS. I told him to call the 1-800 GM line and he did, they said they would "investigate" To me it's case closed...NEW ROTORS. Way to keep loyal customers Chevrolet!!! Make sure they never buy another new car from you over a $150 set of rotors.

Dave

Well, most times the brake rotors can rust from sitting on the lot and not being driven, depending on how long the car sat at the dealership and or your friends driveway is the issue. The pads do not rust and therefore do not need to be changed. Turning the rotors would be the easiest to do at the dealership because I'm not sure that GM would warranty new rotors on a brand new car with 200 miles on it. Rotors/pads are considered a wear and tear issue and are not usually covered under the factory warranty unless there is a manufactures default. The best thing to do for the pulse would be to ride the brake or stop and slam the pedal to the floor repeatedly.

Edited by KissMySilvSS (see edit history)

I understand a wear item, but 200 miles c'mon. This dude drives sanely and wasn't abusing it al all. My point is it's a new car, and therefore it needs new rotors. Maybe they need to look at zinc plating the rotors so they don't rust while they are new. By machining the rotors they took life away from them as well as some of their ability to dissapate heat. Granted probably not a lot but it's the whole idea.

Dave

Well, if he doesn't drive the car hard enough, the rust won't come off of the rotors and they will still vibrate. I can't speak for GM, but I am pretty sure that they won't be giving your friend new rotors, and the dealership won't because they are not liable for the rotors rusting from sitting on the lot.

My SS just went in for the same thing.... Only 10,950 miles on it, and the brakes were pulsating. I also had the Steering shaft lubed and my door gasket/weatherstripping was coming off.

The dealer was supposed to just look at it and order parts if needed. I came back 2 hrs later to find that they just turned the rotors. I called BS!!!! and they said that Chevy wouldn't replace rotors if they could be turned. I told the Service Manager that he should have lied!!!

I just think that it is BS, when your vehicle has low miles, and stupid crap like this occurs. Come On CHEVY ... only 10k miles and the rotors are junk.... not to mention weatherstripping coming off, along with steering shaft problem that is well known about. (Why not fix it) ....

I'm with you Bowtie70SS ... :rant:

rotors rust on ALL vehicles. It does NOT cause the pulsating. It is cleaned off the instant you apply the brakes. No big deal.

To me the problem is the thin pieces of shit rotors the manufacturers use to save some weight and up the "stated fuel economy". You can warp the rotors just by getting them hot one time. I do think they should have replaced them in 200 miles.

I will have to disagree on the dealership not replacing rotors because of wear and tear. i had a 01 z71 with 35k miles and i had some bad braking and i kept taking it in and they told me it was normal untill i rotated the tires and actually could get my head in there to look at them and sure enough the inside of the rotor was in bad shape. I took it back and they pulled a tire and they agreed to replace all the brakes and rotors. it was over $1000 worth of parts and it was all covered by warranty.