Using 4WD For Racing

CaliChevyV8

I have a '06 V-MAX with 4wd AUTO, 4wdHI and 4wdLOW. I'd like some advice on using my 4wd capabilities at the track. I've gotten good and bad answers for this from a few people. Some say:

Launch in 4wd then switch to 2wd to perfect your launch, and reduce friction while in 2wd.

Only use 4wd in dirt, using it on the road will ruin and damage your truck.

Do the whole race in 4wdHI.

:dunno:

Thanks,

Kyle

What is the difference between that and AWD? As long as the tires are the same size and turning the same speed what could it hurt. I'd run the race in 4HI...your superior launch will compensate ofr any extra drag.

Dave

Someone told me the difference is because the 4wd has a transfer case and when you drive in on the street the stress put on the transfer case is bad? I'm only goin off what I've "heard" though. I'd like some mechanical info if anyone has it :thumbs:

As long as you are driving in a straight line I can't see anything negative running in 4-HI; you only get differential action if you are turning or have major wheelspin (traction) issues.

Mr. P.

Autotrac= enables front drive as the rear wheels lose traction

4 HI= enables full lock of front and rear (produces crow-hopping and not recommended for dry pavement use) and can be used at highway speeds

4 Lo+ enables full lock of front and rear designed for extra low end torque (getting unstuck, launching a boat, etc) NEVER DRIVE AROUND IN 4 LO

As for the drags, when I've tried using 4HI from the line I consistanly run .3-.5 seconds slower. That's the main reason I bought the V-Max is the transfer case. I only use 4WD when I really need it. otherwise it's rear-only. :thumbs: