Truth about cold air intakes

the fram airhogs suck, i have one boxed away. I put it in my SSS for about a week and got worse gas mileage and it just felt flat in the mid range, which is normal for our truck i guess. I pulled it out and went with a volant and havent looked back

only harm ive seen an oil'd air filter (exe. K&N) cause was "gunk/buildup" in the A.I.R diaphrams & mass air flow sensor hot-wire/meter on a camaro... this was due to owner fault.... he re-"charged"/oiled his K&N and slapped it back in seconds after applying the oil... not to meantion the excess amount he applied didnt help either...

other than that, ive never seen a problem... ive heard CRAZY/Looney stories from a looney Heavy tech at my old work... he said that a C.A.I sucked in water and it got into the c.chamber thus causing a bent rod??? :crazy::dunno:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure on if any filter flows better than the other ( although I did get better MPG and a few ponies with my K&N drop in filter) but I'm sure the tubing alone would flow better with a CAI than a stock set up. We just installed a Volant w/Ram air on my friends SS and it looks a lot more efficent design over the stock set up. I'm not sure how well it actually does since it's to hot to run it at the track and we don't have a dyno period let alone one for an AWD vehicle.

Edited by GotBoost (see edit history)

only harm ive seen an oil'd air filter (exe. K&N) cause was "gunk/buildup" in the A.I.R diaphrams & mass air flow sensor hot-wire/meter on a camaro... this was due to owner fault.... he re-"charged"/oiled his K&N and slapped it back in seconds after applying the oil... not to meantion the excess amount he applied didnt help either...

other than that, ive never seen a problem... ive heard CRAZY/Looney stories from a looney Heavy tech at my old work... he said that a C.A.I sucked in water and it got into the c.chamber thus causing a bent rod??? :crazy::dunno:

water in a combustion chamber will cause a bent rod pretty quick. however, water can get through a paper filter too. that and n.v.h is why there is so much ducting in our intake tracts.