Gutting Cats...Highly recommended!

I recently gutted my cats and had my pcm retuned by Bryan. I picked up 2 tenths in the 1/8 mile and gained 1 mph. It may not sound like a lot, but it was cheap and easy to do. This gain was also in very hot and humid conditions so I'm sure it's got more in her.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wont that pose some problems with the sniffer when you have to smog it in a few years, seeing that you live in California... :dunno:

In California they also have:

Random roadside test stations where you will see a truck with testing equipment and a drive up inspection platform.

or

Trucks that sit on the roadside with a bunch of camera looking things at various heights that actually measure tailpipe emissions as you approach them. It is some pretty high tech $hit.

I have seen both of these different test systems in use here in Alta Loma, CA and in other local cities.

Yet another reason not to live on the West coast (j/k). I recomend it because a clogged/busted cat cost me an engine. All we had for emissions was the good old OBD2 check, they plugged into the data port and no codes=pass. They did stop e-check last year fortunately.

Dave

Here on the eastside(boiiiiiii) we have the plug test for OBDII, and they usually do a quick glance visual. They will see the cat, but if you don't have a code you will pass, as long as they see cats. :thumbs:

Personally for me that is not enough gain, I don't race where 10ths count. Im glad you saw an increase thats awesome.

Wont that pose some problems with the sniffer when you have to smog it in a few years, seeing that you live in California... :dunno:

In California they also have:

Random roadside test stations where you will see a truck with testing equipment and a drive up inspection platform.

or

Trucks that sit on the roadside with a bunch of camera looking things at various heights that actually measure tailpipe emissions as you approach them. It is some pretty high tech $hit.

I have seen both of these different test systems in use here in Alta Loma, CA and in other local cities.

I've never seen those.... maybe NorCal doesn't have that technology yet.... :dunno:

Thanks for all of your concerns and input. I'm not worried about any of it though because I only really drive it to and from the track and by the time it needs a smog, it'll be a trailer queen used strictly for bracket racing. That why I chose to do it now. And, if it all doesn't go to plan, I know plenty of people that will "take care of" a smog check for me. :D

...I know plenty of people that will "take care of" a smog check for me. :D

it's only every 2 years anyhow...if need be you can slap set of cats back on it and call it good! :devil:

~Brian

Actually it's five years from the date of purchase if 2003 or newer I think.

Actually it's five years from the date of purchase if 2003 or newer I think.

oh yeah, I forgot about that!!

After the 5 years from when you bought it is the first smog check and then every 2 years following that year...

So anyone with an '03 would have to have one in 2008 then again in '10, '12, '14 you get the idea...

I guess it would be so bad throwing on the a set of cats every 2 years after '08 if you didnt have the luxury of making the truck a trailer queen

After the 5 years from when you bought it is the first smog check and then every 2 years following that year...

So anyone with an '03 would have to have one in 2008 then again in '10, '12, '14 you get the idea...

I guess it would be so bad throwing on the a set of cats every 2 years after '08 if you didnt have the luxury of making the truck a trailer queen

yeah, I knew that I just forgot it cause I got my truck used and out of state so I had to smog it for transfer!! :thumbs: