Gutting Cats...Highly recommended!

Not sure what your laws are out there but here in Indiana we have to get emission tested 5 years after it is new, unless you buy truck plates for it :thumbs: If you go with the truck plates then you are exempt from emissions testing. :driving:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all of your concerns and input.  I'm not worried about any of it though because I only really drive it to and from the track and by the time it needs a smog, it'll be a trailer queen used strictly for bracket racing.  That why I chose to do it now.  And, if it all doesn't go to plan, I know plenty of people that will "take care of" a smog check for me. :D

I saw the one with the camera looking things on the Haven on ramp to the 210 Freeway.

I know you don't daily drive your truck. I was mentioning it for those that do. :cheers:

wow i have never seen those stations either.  do they actually make everyone pull over? kind of scares me what do they do if you fail miserably??

The ones with the drive on platforms is random check or suspicious vehicles.

The ones with the camera looking things may get your license plate number. :dunno:

If you fail miserably, you might find out why they call it the SLAMMER :wub: or worse :oops: .

and/or a stiff fine!!!!!

My 11-second Silverado is Smog Legal and passes the test. :cool:

One reason I love Kansas City :cool:  No smog checks of any kind.

Same here if FL. They do not even have a saftey inspection. Unless you live you wouldn't believe some of the pieces of crap that drive on the road around here in Jax. Its almost dangerous and I would rather have my car inspected every year than deal with someones car dropping an exhaust in front of me (it actually happened, a true story).

Personally, I am in favor of cats. If we didn't have them, I wouldn't be able to see my hand if front of my face because of all the smog that we would have here in SoCal. It just takes a bit more effort to keep it smog legal, but it is worth it to be able to breath. Remember, we are just goldfish in a bowl, breathing our own crap. However, I do wish they would make it easier for performance equipment makers to get their products out without such a heavy paperwork burden and some of the strange rules.

are you serios you get jail time for a not compiant vehicle?? thats bs let me pay the fine. im contemplating longtubes with no cats. and keeping my current set up for inspection!

i agree with dcairns, im a bit of a enviormentalist even though i drive a SSS. we have no inspections here in florida however ive seen cops give you crap bout no cats to some of my friends (they can smell the gas).

wow i have never seen those stations either.  do they actually make everyone pull over? kind of scares me what do they do if you fail miserably??

My buddy in NJ got a random road side on his K5 for a 4" lift kit. When they crawled under they didn't find any cats... FINE= $2,500 there. HOLY CRAP. I dropped the phone when he told me...

Personally, I am in favor of cats.  If we didn't have them, I wouldn't be able to see my hand if front of my face because of all the smog that we would have here in SoCal.  It just takes a bit more effort to keep it smog legal, but it is worth it to be able to breath.  Remember, we are just goldfish in a bowl, breathing our own crap.  However, I do wish they would make it easier for performance equipment makers to get their products out without such a heavy paperwork burden and some of the strange rules.

Yes I agree cats help emissions, but when they had emissions testing here in Fl my vehicles never had cats, they were all gutted, everyone of my vehicles passed. Its all in how they are tuned, some of my vehicles were Fuel Inj and some carburated. I've heard stories of the polution in Ca. I've seen many late 70's early 80's vehilces that had emission controls on run cleaner and better without all the extra crap on them. I was certified to do emission testing here when they were doing it. Does it really matter if the vehicle is modified in any way aslong as the emission output is less than the federal standard.

i agree with dcairns, im a bit of a enviormentalist even though i drive a SSS. we have no inspections here in florida however ive seen cops give you crap bout no cats to some of my friends (they can smell the gas).

I lived in Miami for 30 yrs and never heard of a cop giving someone a hard time because of no cats, now for a load exhaust yes, I had a trooper give me a warning. My dad was a Metro Dade cop for 15yrs and was a tech long before that and knows when a cars is running rich (does not mean it has no cats) and never wrote a ticket for it. Most cops do not know the difference and I have met alot of them and worked on the cars :D

The ones with the drive on platforms is random check or suspicious vehicles.

The ones with the camera looking things may get your license plate number. :dunno:

If you fail miserably, you might find out why they call it the SLAMMER :wub: or worse :oops: .

and/or a stiff fine!!!!!

My 11-second Silverado is Smog Legal and passes the test. :cool:

Man that really blows. Im definatley scared now with my no cat system and new motor on the way. :banghead:

are you serios you get jail time for a not compiant vehicle?? thats bs let me pay the fine. im contemplating longtubes with no cats. and keeping my current set up for inspection!

jail time, I don't think so!!!!

stiff fines, absolutely!!!!!

I heard the fine just for no cat in California is $2,750.00

I can think of alot of better mods for that much money

Personally, I am in favor of cats.  If we didn't have them, I wouldn't be able to see my hand if front of my face because of all the smog that we would have here in SoCal.  It just takes a bit more effort to keep it smog legal, but it is worth it to be able to breath.  Remember, we are just goldfish in a bowl, breathing our own crap.  However, I do wish they would make it easier for performance equipment makers to get their products out without such a heavy paperwork burden and some of the strange rules.

Yes I agree cats help emissions, but when they had emissions testing here in Fl my vehicles never had cats, they were all gutted, everyone of my vehicles passed. Its all in how they are tuned, some of my vehicles were Fuel Inj and some carburated. I've heard stories of the polution in Ca. I've seen many late 70's early 80's vehilces that had emission controls on run cleaner and better without all the extra crap on them. I was certified to do emission testing here when they were doing it. Does it really matter if the vehicle is modified in any way aslong as the emission output is less than the federal standard.

I lived in Miami for 30 yrs and never heard of a cop giving someone a hard time because of no cats, now for a load exhaust yes, I had a trooper give me a warning. My dad was a Metro Dade cop for 15yrs and was a tech long before that and knows when a cars is running rich (does not mean it has no cats) and never wrote a ticket for it. Most cops do not know the difference and I have met alot of them and worked on the cars :D

it was more of a jerk cop, looking for trouble. sometimes they give the biggest BS tickets. my friend with a BMW 330ci ZHP got a ticket for having a aftermarket exhaust (its stock) the cop was waiting for him next to the car. another one of my friends got pulled over and was hassled however the cop softened up and the cop was telling him that they are told that anything aftermarket is basically "illegal" of course you can fight it but its justy a excuse to write tickets. most cops are nice cool guys but some got that power trip...

oh and tawss i bet you miss those south florida summers!!!! :jester: