CONVERTER WEIGHTS

Just had a chance to weight the stock converter 12" @ 60.8lbs. :chevy:

The converter I put in 3000 stall 9 1/2" @ 31.46lbs. :cheers:

Major turning weight drop. :thumbs:

How many lbs of turning weight = how much hp? :confused:

Ok gear heads help me on this one. I heard it was 1lb of turning weight =7hp bench racing :cheers: info.

Thanks for your imput.This is what FLP (vigilante 9 1/2 single disk) sells.

What would your converter choice be for my application, and slso stock converter choice? Stall, size, brand and any explination is always appreciated.

Thanks for your imput.This is what FLP (vigilante 9 1/2 single disk) sells.

What would your converter choice be for my application, and slso stock converter choice? Stall, size, brand and any explination is always appreciated.

If you don't plan on towing, I would personally do the Yank Truck Thruster 3200. I might, so I stepped down to the TT3000. I think BigTex has the TT2600 and like it. I know FLP likes the vigilante convertors, but agree w/ Tex, I don't think a 9.5 is good for a truck. I'm looking for a good explainable reason for you, so give me time.

OK, hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong. A small dia. convertor (9.5") will have a higher stall rating than a 10 or 11" convertor for the same fluid load This is because the smaller convertor generates less fluid because of it's size. It will also have better efficency as the stall speed gets higher due to the way it's pump blades are built. In a larger dia convertor, the blades in the pump are angles back in order to push less fluid, thus killing it's efficency in higher stall applications. In relative terms though, a 3000 stall is a low stall convertor compared to 3.5-4.5k stalls. At this relative low stall speed, a 9.5 becomes more inneficent because it can't pump as much fluid as the 11". Thus stepping back up to a larger dia stall gains a better efficency at out lower stall speeds.

Wow, that was a mouthful :crazy:

Clear as mud?????

part of the problem with the 9.5 inch converter is the smaller clutch, especially with that much weight. they can build more efficiency into the turbine's, but i wouldn't recomend towing with it for sure. a 2600 converter in an ss silverado with a supercharger is likely to flash stall to around 2800 to 3000 anyway. must launch pretty awsome though with that much stall. :thumbs:

Thank you guys for this great info. I have 2 more truck if I need to tow anything rifgt now. I will take you advice and try not to tow anything heavy with this rig.

I will keep my eyes open on other converters and there feedback.

Thanks again :cheers:

Archived