How aweful is your gas milage?

BumpinSS

Well....custom tunes are not known for mileage.  I would scratch that idea if that is what you want.  How many miles does your truck have?

Synthetic oil, a clean air filter, good working O2s, injector cleaner etc...  Are you getting this info from the dic, or manually figuring?  It just doesn't sound right.  Even I get better than that.

sorry to bust your bubble but a good custom tune will help with mileage.

it does sound like he does have other problems thou

I don't have a bubble.

Did Zippy tune you for mileage? Did you consider mileage for a tune? Did you buy HPt thinking it was going to improve your mileage? Nevermind, you were the one thinking a 408 was going to improve your mileage. Does any tuner advertise better mileage? Some may. It will not happen though.

I will say that tuning may not make it any worse. The best it can do is lean you out some since the stock tune is so rich. That will not make any drastic differences in mileage though. I guess if the avg person getting a custom tune was getting it for that reason, but 99.99% get tuned for performance and drive it like they paid for just that. Mileage is usually a secondary thought for most performance minded people.

Actually, ignoring the fuel "savings" by having a more sane PE enrichment table, when you are running a spark table that is more efficient (read: more power) than stock, you absolutely will increase mileage. The downside is that more power typically means more playing and more throttle. :D

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to drive to Tulsa, which isn't that far, Ed Wright at Fastchip is located here.  He does an awesome job doing custom tunes.

Happen to have a # for them? My sister lives in Tulsa so that might actually work out. Also, what intakes do you guys use? I'm using a K&N filter in the stock airbox but I was thinking of ordering my ram air hood and the ram air box and seeing if it helps any.

you can get about a 14% increased gas mileage if you can find a tuner to enable lean cruise for you. I have done so and i get pretty decent gas mileage.

city/highway driving back and forth to work I get about 16mpg.

if I set the cruise at 60mph I get about 22mpg, 70mph 17mpg, 80mph 14mpg. this is not veryified by the DIC, but by filling up.

I agree, if you are getting ~10mph, you probably need some routine maintenance.

you can get about a 14% increased gas mileage if you can find a tuner to enable lean cruise for you. I have done so and i get pretty decent gas mileage.

city/highway driving back and forth to work I get about 16mpg.

if I set the cruise at 60mph I get about 22mpg, 70mph 17mpg, 80mph 14mpg.  this is not veryified by the DIC, but by filling up. 

I agree, if you are getting ~10mph, you probably need some routine maintenance.

What cruise AFR? 15.5? 16? Are you running a custom OS to be able to do this as the PCM won't allow it on US Operating systems...

I haven't reset my digital avg. in quite a while but it reads 14.8, don't drive much on the highway, mostly around town and a little on the roads around my town and I like to leadfoot it quite a bit. Cruise control is for wussies :D

just cause i love saying it...

11 hw

6-7 city....not in 3rd gear mr p

Maaannnnn... your cam must be blowing raw fuel right out the tailpipe.

And probably flaming when he lets off the gas like NASCAR. :)

:crackup: So I guess we would call them 'Tiki Torches'?!