Tranny disaster

I could use a little help. First off I have an 03 z71 suburban and I believe it's the same tranny the SS uses. First off I have tryed for hrs to get the tranny pan all the way off with no luck. So it looked to me I would have to drop the exsuast. So any way if there is a trick please let me know. So I moved on and decided if I can get to the filter and pull that out the pan may come out ,well no luck there. So I decide screw it I'll wipe the pan out and throw in the new filter and be done with it. Well thats when I noticed that dam cromet is still in the hole where the filter tube hooks into. Lets just say 2hrs later that dam thing is out but now the new one won't press in there. Whats the trick to get the new gromet back in so I can install the filter. Also I bought a programmer so do you think it's a good idea to pull the corvette servo and install my stock one back before useing the programmer or leave as is and don't increase the line pressure for first and second shifts? Thanks a bunch for any ideas. I've done tranny filters before but it was a simple drop change filter and bolt back up.

Getting this gromet in with the filter is my current problem. :banghead:

As for the programmer I would say install the vette servos and increase the shift times and see how that goes but avoid increasing the pressure. Does it tell you how much you are increasing the pressure? I installed the vette servo shortened the shift times and increased the pressure by like 2psi and it barks the tires from 1st to 2nd. I did all my programming with HPTuners though so I don't know what your hand held allows you to do.

The filter seal can be a pain. I have gone without replacing it just for that reason. Usually comes fairly easily with some needle nose pliers by bending the edge in toward the opening. To get the new one in I have used round pieces of wood to tap it in, or something similar. Try lubing the outside of it, just in case the opening no longer has fluid in it.

Man some times you just need to step back and call it a day and start fresh I guess. With in 30min I had the pan off with a little pry on the linkage bracket and new gromet installed and new filter installed. :cheers:

Now should I blow out the rest of the fluid from the trans cooler? :dunno: Or is it not worth it? If it is where will the fluid come out at? Blowing the line would that empty the converter of it's fluid? If that happends then I would have to drop and refill the converter right and I'm not into that. So what should I do?

Man some times you just need to step back and call it a day and start fresh I guess.  With in 30min I had the pan off with a little pry on the linkage bracket and new gromet installed and new filter installed. :cheers:

Now should I blow out the rest of the fluid from the trans cooler?  :dunno:  Or is it not worth it?  If it is where will the fluid come out at? Blowing the line would that empty the converter of it's fluid?  If that happends then I would have to drop and refill the converter right and I'm not into that.  So what should I do?

Here's what I did when I changed out all my tranny fluid to Amsoil synthetic:

# Remove the upper transmission line from the radiator (only a little fluid will drip, if any, because it's higher than the transmission). The trans cooler line is on the passenger side of the radiator. The line on the driver side of the radiator is for the engine oil cooler. Learned this first hand. :banghead:

# Screw a short fitting into the radiator that you can attach a piece of tubing. [Go to AutoZone and ask for a brass fuel fitting, stock #323319. It will fit perfectly after you remove the quick-connect from the radiator, and give you an extension to attach 5/16”-7/16” clear vinyl tubing. Use teflon tape for a good seal (don't forget to use the tape when you replace the quick-connect). Get about 4 feet, because if it's coiled tightly, you'll never get it completely straightened out.]

# Clamp the tubing onto the fitting you put in the radiator and run the tubing over the radiator support and out the front of the truck into a gallon or larger jug. Tape a big nut as a weight on the end of the tube to keep it in the jug, or ask a helper to hold it. [if your bottle is lower than the tranny, you'll continue to siphon fluid as you drain the tranny. MAKE SURE TO EMPTY YOUR BOTTLE AND CLEAR THE LINE BEFORE YOU GO OFF TO DO SOMETHING ELSE!]

# Start the truck. Fluid will start pumping out the tube into the jug. Watch the tube until you see bubbles or hear a bubbling sound and then immediately shut the truck off. It will take about 30 seconds and pump out 3-4 qts of fluid.

# Add 3-4 qts new fluid, empty the jug, and start it up again as before. Watch for bubbles, then shut the truck off.

# Add 3-4 qts, empty the jug, start, watch for bubbles, and shut down. If you really want to be assured you have 100% fluid change, add 2 more qts and repeat. If the fluid was dirty, or the new fluid is a different color, you will see the color change in the clear tubing, which is an indication that you have cycled through all the fluid in the tranny and convertor.

# Remove the tubing, replace fitting with the tranny line (don't forget the Teflon tape!), fill the tranny to the full line, then start and check the fluid level when the truck warms up. Top off to line on dipstick

Great idea thanks for the info. All went well and will be much easyer next time,did the plugs,wires,sea-foam top end treatment and oil change and tranny filter and fluid change. Today will be the front and rear diff and transfercase case fluid change. And I may have some time to custom mount some piaa 520 in my airdam. And to top it off a little power wash undernieth and she will be done. :chevy:

Great idea thanks for the info.  All went well and will be much easyer next time,did the plugs,wires,sea-foam top end treatment and oil change and tranny filter and fluid  change.  Today will be the front and rear diff and transfercase case fluid change.  And I may have some time to custom mount some piaa 520 in my airdam. And to top it off a little power wash undernieth and she will be done. :chevy:

Glad to hear it!

83753.jpg