Tow Haul Mode

GUNNER

Has any one tried the quarter in tow haul mode? I know torque managemnt is reduced (not eliminated) in tow/haul mode and was curious to see if there was any gain. I street raced a dodge durango one day and we were on some very turny roads and he was right on me , I switched to tow haul mode and was able to start to pull him coming out of the corners. This was with my z-71 ext cab 4.8 3.73 gear ( I know not an SS, just seeing if anyone else saw an improvement or not)

I knew it thanks Blackhawk. Basically if you are poor like me and cant get a chip use tow haul its a little better. I work on these vehicles all of the time and cant afford to do crap it sucks! I've put on 2 superchargers, tons of headers and so on. Maybe someday I can put thses things on my truck, for now stock will have to do. ( my stock is a 2500HD rc 6.0 4x4 I know dont laugh).

I read someplace that we are not supposed to leave the vehicle in the tow/hall mode unless actually pulling something. Was that misinformation?

That would be my guess to Lee, just negative effects on mileage. The only other thing I could see, would be that it decreases Tq management, so possible more wear on the tranny.

you might actually see less ware in the transmission because the trany is shifting faster therfore its locked up more less ware and tear. Usually a trany with a shift kit will out last a stock one, because it shifts faster and is locked up more. Just my 2 cents.

you might actually see less ware in the transmission because the trany is shifting faster therfore its locked up more less ware and tear.  Usually a trany with a shift kit will out last a stock one, because it shifts faster and is locked up more.  Just my 2 cents.

I knew this would be a sticky point, and hard to call. I think less slipping between shifts will lengthin the life of the tranny, but reduced Tq management could cause the opposite, more Tq to bang stuff around.

For the record, I'm reducing Tq management, and adding a shift kit. So much for the life. :D

Thanks, guys.

Well, mileage aside then, leaving it in 3rd gear has a big effect on performance. I was really surprised when the owners manual said you could do this without adverse effects over the long term life of the vehicle (other than mileage, obviously). I drop it down into 3rd all the time if I'm zipping through heavy traffic and I want extra power without punching it down into passing gear. Many times passing gear is too much in heavy traffic.

Archived